Falconer's Hopburst IPA

Has anyone done one of these yet? I just bought a pound of Falconer’s Flight pellets from NB. Here is my partial mash recipe:

5.25 gal batch
1.069 OG
75 IBU
8 SRM

6.5# Maris Otter Malt
3.3# Briess Pilsen LME (late addition)
1.0# Briess Pilsen DME
1.0# Victory Malt
0.25# CaraPils

20min - 1.0-oz FF (11.4%AA)
15min - 1.0-oz FF (11.4%AA)
10min - 1.5-oz FF (11.4%AA)
5min - 2.0-oz FF (11.4%AA)
0min - 3.0-oz FF (11.4%AA)

Wyeast 1056 - 1.5L starter on stir plate
Ferment at 63-65 deg F

Yes, I brewed this one early last year. Came out really nice but the simcoe was a bit old and I wish I hadn’t used them, they gave a bit of a tea like grassy flavor I could have done without.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.62 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 45 (45.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 85 (85.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.6 IBU
3.00 oz Falconers Flight Blend [10.50 %] (10 min) Hops 35.2 IBU
3.00 oz Falconers Flight Blend [10.50 %] (0 min) Hops - steeped for 15 min before turning on chiller
2.00 oz Falconers Flight Blend [10.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle US-05 (DCL Yeast) Yeast-Ale

Cool… what’s the overall flavor like? C-hop like?

Tropical, citra seemed to be the dominant character. It was definitely unique but I enjoyed it. I’ve got another 8oz and some of those are going into a rye saison I’ll be brewing soon. I think the tropical flavors will go very well with wyeast 3711.

I make something similar several times a year. FF is one of my favorites late hopped. I agree too tat the Citra shines through.

i love citra so I guess I am on the right track.

Brewed this one today. FF gave off a huge lemon zest aroma during the boil. Curious if this translates to the finished product.

FF is an excellent hop for late hopping. I really love the aroma it gives off. You notice it long before the glass ever touches your lips. I’d swear there is some Citra in there.

Has to be Citra in there. One of those hops with distinctive scent. Love Citra and FF

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I’d swear there is some Citra in there.[/quote]And you would be correct. From probrewer.com:

Here is the official word, also now on the Hopunion LLC Facebook page, regarding the blended pellet Falconer’s Flight: “Hopunion LLC Falconer’s Flight™ is a proprietary pellet blend comprised of many of the Northwest’s most premier hop varieties including the highly acclaimed Citra™, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties.”

I just DHed a big IPA with two oz of FF and it smells so good that it’s going to be hard to wait for it to carb up.

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“MullerBrau”]I’d swear there is some Citra in there.[/quote]And you would be correct. From probrewer.com:

Here is the official word, also now on the Hopunion LLC Facebook page, regarding the blended pellet Falconer’s Flight: “Hopunion LLC Falconer’s Flight™ is a proprietary pellet blend comprised of many of the Northwest’s most premier hop varieties including the highly acclaimed Citra™, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties.”
[/quote]
Well that explains it!

I just tried a Widmer Brothers Rye IPA hopped with FF (first time I’ve had a FF beer to my knowledge). I got a lot of Simcoe from it, and loved it!