Fact or Fiction? Making an IPA

I have often used 1/2 lb of both crystal 20 and 40, but I’ve decided that my next batch will have that cut in half. As IPA’s are among my favorites these are all 5.5 or 5.8 gal batches.

My Cascadian Dark used 3/4 lbs of 60 and 1/2 lb of Special Roast in a 5.5 gal batch.

I’ve been wanting to make a white IPA, and to try an amber or brown IPA too.

Those terms work too depending on the situation. I’ve had some IPAs that featured a malt profile that I felt was too forward (i.e., assertive) for my taste. But we concur on the general concept. :smiley:

Even in my standard APA malt bill, I use very modest amounts of specialty grain. 5% Munich I and 3% C40. I want more maltiness in my APAs.

Yeast also makes a big difference IMO: Clean flavor profile with apparent attenuation in the low 80’s is my preference. I like to finish at or under 1.010.

Harpoon IPA is a great example of an IPA that doesn’t blast your face off with hops. Left Hand’s 400-Pound Monkey is another balanced IPA, though more in the English style. I also like Saranac’s India Copper Ale, which sort of skirts the line between Amber and IPA.

The Harpoon I believe I’ve had many many moons ago. I don’t recall what I thought of it, but it certainly wasn’t one of the few meh IPA’s I’ve had. I’ll look for it again. Thanks!

not easy…if it was you wouldnt be posting the question.