Extreme Bitterness

I am currently making a dunkelweizen that I steeped a half pound of chocolate wheat, dark wheat, and caramunich grains before the boil and original recipe. Ive waited 11 days for primary foam head in primary fermenter to drop. It did on eleventh day so I racked it into the secondary fermenter. Tasted the beer and it is very very bitter. I was wondeirng if anyone knew why it could be so bitter and if this will go away with time? Thanks

How many ounces of hops did you use and what type? If you substituted varieties did you compensate for differences in AAU?

Also, it seems that many recipes out there really overdo it on the bitterness in keeping with the current fad, I suppose (perhaps not realizing that there’s no shame in restraint and ‘balance’ :mrgreen: )

Some bitterness will, however, dissipate over time.
In the end the real trick is to tweak the recipe next time around to your own taste. It has been quite a long time since I’ve brewed someone else’s recipe but on those occasions where I did, they almost always needed minor adjustments (sometimes toning down, sometimes ramping up) the next time around in order to meet my own tastes.

I’m wondering if he’s perceiving tannins/astringency due to a hot steep and/or low pH if its not an issue with hop additions. Lot of dark grains in there…

I only used 1 oz. German Tettnang hops… Steeped all three grains for 30 minutes at 160 degrees then pulled them out and cranked up heat to boil to continue the brewing.

From what I’ve seen above, your beer will be just fine… Relax, let it age a month after you bottle it, and all will be well. If you are still concerned after that, send me a six pack of it, and I will let you know how it turned out :smiley:

Seriously though, it will be just fine if you let it sit in the bottle for a month or so. No worries, not the end of the World, and I’ll wager you made good beer after you let it sit for a month… I’ve made about every mistake there is, and have yet to have to dump a batch… Your beer will be fine!

:cheers: