Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Extract vs. Real Deal

I told my girlfriend on Monday that I was dedicating Thursday night to myself. Between work, side work, family, etc., I haven’t had a minute to relax. So I dedicated this night to my hobbies. After dinner, I put on the waders, hit the beach, and landed my first Striped Bass of the season. Shortly thereafter I came home and transferred my Watermelon Ale from Primary to Secondary. I decided to add 1 1/4 medium sized watermelons to 5 gals of William’s Brewings Watermelon Ale extract kit, directly into the primary, after 3 weeks of primary. I decided to go with the chunks in Primary b/c I figured they would make a huge mess. Boy was I right. I’ll let it sit in secondary for a week or two to clear out. Everything aside, I always try a glass of flat beer when racking. Holy sh*t! Unbelievable how well the watermelon comes thorough. Not much aroma, but I can already tell this is going to be a great refreshing beer. I thought about maybe adding a TOUCH of watermelon extract to secondary or bottling for aroma? Of course, if it aint broke, don’t fix it comes to mind. This almost has me thinking, why bother using extract? Thoughts?

I would add a drop or 2 to a glass and give it a taste. Some of the extract have a strong medicine taste to them and make the beer hard for me to drink.

If it does taste good to you, you will just need to experiment on the right amount to add to the full batch.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com