Extract twang with all grain darker beers

I use bottled water for all my beers, but it seems like I always get bit of an off flavor (hard to describe) with dark beers. i used to think it was notty, but it’s not as i now have it with an oatmeal brown. i thought the darker grists were easier to dial in to 5.2 in the mash, is there something i should add? maybe the water profile is better suited to lighter beers such as pale ales,ipa’s and even belgian beers that are high in pilsner malt…

How are you checking your mash pH?

Extract twang LMAO!

sorry, power was out for a few days, I use the strips and was getting 5.2-5.4…they aren’t exact.

Google…LMAO!

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps ... 87&bih=759

sorry, power was out for a few days, I use the strips and was getting 5.2-5.4…they aren’t exact.[/quote]

What type of strips? Over on the AHA forum Mrtin Brungard has posted some info on the ColorpHast strips that’s very interesting

sorry, power was out for a few days, I use the strips and was getting 5.2-5.4…they aren’t exact.[/quote]

What type of strips? Over on the AHA forum Mrtin Brungard has posted some info on the ColorpHast strips that’s very interesting[/quote]

Precision labs, the label says for beer, basically the range is 4.6 to about 6.0. I male my own cheese and the strips I have for that are a bit different and have a wider range of btween 4 and 7.

[quote=“beerwench”][quote=“Denny”][quote=“beerwench”]

What type of strips? Over on the AHA forum Mrtin Brungard has posted some info on the ColorpHast strips that’s very interesting[/quote]

Precision labs, the label says for beer, basically the range is 4.6 to about 6.0. I male my own cheese and the strips I have for that are a bit different and have a wider range of btween 4 and 7.[/quote]

Do you trust the strips? All that I’ve tried (which doesn’t include those) except ColorpHast are really inaccurate.

Google…LMAO!

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps ... 87&bih=759[/quote]

Google Myth LMAO

I dont like the way you generalize it! If you have beer with a supposed Extract TWANG then you need to look at your brewing practices and the extract you are using or in your case you need to look at your Temps! Now days Extract twang is a myth for the most part.You just provide it by saying you are brewing All Grain and have a “Extract Twang”. I brew both and You cant tell a difference

What yeast did you use for the oatmeal brown? You can send a sample of your bottled water to ward labs and get a mineral report which might help as well. I didn’t care for my darker beers until I got a water report and adjusted with some calcium carbonate and calcium chloride. I use the colorpHast strips with pretty good results (although I’ve never compared with a pH meter).