Extract Oktoberfest fermentation process

So my extract oktoberfest has been fermenting for 2 weeks at 50 degrees and I checked it last night, the krausen had all but disappeared but I could see that there was some small amount of fermentation still happening. I took a gravity reading which was 1.020 which is pretty close to the final gravity reading so I started raising the temp to do a “diactyl” rest before I rack it to the secondary to Lager for the next month or so.

Based on this I guess my only question is: Does this sound right? This is my first time doing a lager so this fermenting process is new to me. I want to be a close to the correct procedures as possible so as I do more lager batches in the future I can build on this and other expereinces.

As always thanks for the advice…I love this forum, you all are always so helpful!

Cheers!

NewbieJM

Sounds like you’re right on target. A diacetyl is not always necessary. The best way to determine if one is needed is to taste the beer. If it tastes buttery, do the d-rest. I tend to raise the temps near the end of fermentation with my lagers to help the yeast along but I’ve never needed a d-rest (I’ve done about a dozen lagers so far).

Keep up the good work. The patience you show with your lager will definitely be apparent in the final product!

:cheers:

mvsawyer,

thanks for the insight. I have raised the temp and transfering this evening. I will take a “small” sampling to see if there are any buttery flavors before transfering.

Cheers!

NewbieJM

Well we transferred the Oktoberfest to start the lagering process. We didn’t taste any buttery flavors, my brewing buddy said it tasted a little “earthy” to him, to me it tastes good enough to drink now! We had a little bit of a problem when we put the auto siphon into the fermenter to transfer, the siphon wouldn’t pull out the beer. Once we finished we realized how MUCH more yeast was at the bottom than the Ale batches we had done.

So I will let it lager for a month or so before bottling. Will the beers flavor change much during the lagering phase?

Just Curious?

Cheers!

NewbieJM

The flavors won’t really change but they will mellow, smooth and all blend together. Some ales you can actually perceive the point where the flavor changes on your tongue. Lagers should flow like a delicate symphony from beginning to end.

:cheers:

After 2 long months of waiting I had my first Oktoberfest and KAPOW! It was freakin awesome!

Good things come to those that wait! Can’t wait to do it again!