Extract kit boil question

Hello Northern Brewers!

I’m going to be making a Caribou Slobber kit this weekend and i have 2 gallon pots and my regular 7 and 8 gallon brew pots. I need to boil 2.5 gallons of water and add the rest in the carboy…

Can i just steep and boil in my extract with a full volume boil of 5 gallons? i feel if i boil 2.5 gallons in a 8 gallon kettle ill lose alot and it be a bit overkill…

Thanks in advance!

I would highly recommend that you use a full volume boil. For the steeping grain, I feel like I had the best results when I steeped in a smaller pot separate from the main boil kettle.

J

Just remember you will have boil off I boil 6.5gallons and end up around 5 when im done. I put 1.5 on the stove for steeping and 5 in the kettle for boiling when im done steeping i pour that in the other 5 to make 6.5 then I begin my hour long boil.

Sweet thanks! I think i may take golden’s approach, I think it’ll be easier to dissolve all that LME/DME with a higher amount of boiling liquid…

Ill let you know how the slobber turns out!

Brew on citizens…

Unless you have a means of cooling down 5 gallons of wort, i.e. a wort chiller, you are not going to want to do a full boil. The luxury of a partial boil is that you can use very cold (freezng) top off water to get down to the proper yeast pitching temps. The improvement of a full boil to your beer is negligible if it takes you 2 hours to cool your wort.

Do you have a means to get 6 gallons of liquid up to a boil? Most stoves are not up to the challenge.

If you don’t have a chiller, you can do an overnight cool. Set a lit on the pot and allow it to cool naturally. Many have done this, even with lagers, and produced great beers.

If you can’t do a full boil, only add 1/2 of the extract to the boil pot. Add the remainder at the end of the boil. This helps with hop utilization and lessens the chance of scorching the wort.

So are you saying it is best to do a partial boil? I want to brew the Caribou Slobber also but doing two one gallon batches in a LBK so my question is can I only boil 1.5 gallons of water to steep my grain and boil my wort then add water after flame out to make it two gallons. Or do I need to start with 3 gallons of water to do it all in

Connie, if I’m following your question, you are doing a 2 gallon batch. Combining two, 1 gallon kits? But your pot is not big enough.

I would use 1 full kit (the extract) for the boil. Maybe add a little more from the 2nd kit. At the end of the boil add the remainder of the extract. Use all the hops at their appropriate time. Add water to bring the final volume up to 2+ gallons. (+ as you will loose some, 1pt-1qt maybe)

This is referred to as “late extract addition”. It keeps the sugar content down to decrease the chance of scorching the sugars. And hops are utilized better in less dense wort.

Another option for you is to purchase 5 gallon kit. Splitting the ingredients for 2 brews. Keep the extract and hops sealed in the refrigerator/freezer. They should be good for a month or more.

The yeast you might want to order a 2nd pack of dry yeast. Or save the slurry in the bottom of the fermenter in a sanitized mason jar.

Thank you so much for your help. I will do just as you said, I can’t wait to drink this.

So it’s in the carboy and rapid fermentation is done!

I ended up steeping in a gallon and a half and adding it to 5 gallons in the brew pot. It was great, boiled, cooled, and poured into the carboy but there was alot of foam! i pitched on top of the foam and swirled a bit.

Started with a blow off tube in a bucket of star-san and went through initial fermentation fine, when I went to swap for a stopper/airlock, the stopper kept coming out of the neck of the carboy, so I left the blow off tube in. Ill figure out my stopper problems when i rack to secondary…

Thanks for the help!

[quote=“Millertime610”]So it’s in the carboy and rapid fermentation is done!

I ended up steeping in a gallon and a half and adding it to 5 gallons in the brew pot. It was great, boiled, cooled, and poured into the carboy but there was alot of foam! i pitched on top of the foam and swirled a bit.

Started with a blow off tube in a bucket of star-san and went through initial fermentation fine, when I went to swap for a stopper/airlock, the stopper kept coming out of the neck of the carboy, so I left the blow off tube in. Ill figure out my stopper problems when i rack to secondary…

Thanks for the help![/quote]
Glad to help.

I wouldnt worry about the airlock like you said just use the blow off tube thats what I do. I notice when Mine are wet they dont want to stay in the carboy so I just jam them in there really hard and they stay.