Extract boil volume question, how small can I go

I was planning on brewing tonight. I have what I thought was a 16 quart soup pot but turns out it’s not that big after all ha…

I normally brew outside with a turkey fryer/pot but that pot won’t fit on my stove.

I just filled the small pot on the stove with 2.5 gallons and I’m pretty sure that after I add the half gallon of LME and the 2pnds of honey I plan to add at flameout there won’t be any room left…

Anyone ever do 1.5 or 2 gallon boils for extract or is that not recommended?

Nevermind. I will wait on this Am. Wheat kit and do a partial batch with some leftover stuff. A 2.5 gallon batch with 3 pnds of Pilsen LME, a pound of honey and the last of my first year Cascade hops, just to see what happens…

I have made 2 gallon concentrated boils and diluted with 3 gallons at the end. It works. Try adding the majority of the malt in the last 10 minutes. It will make good beer.

[quote=“SolomonsCommune”]I was planning on brewing tonight. I have what I thought was a 16 quart soup pot but turns out it’s not that big after all ha…

I normally brew outside with a turkey fryer/pot but that pot won’t fit on my stove.

I just filled the small pot on the stove with 2.5 gallons and I’m pretty sure that after I add the half gallon of LME and the 2pnds of honey I plan to add at flameout there won’t be any room left…

Anyone ever do 1.5 or 2 gallon boils for extract or is that not recommended?[/quote]

That’s called partial boil…how I did my first 15 or so batches. It works just fine.

[quote=“n8young”]

That’s called partial boil…how I did my first 15 or so batches. It works just fine.[/quote]

I know what a partial boil is ha… The instructions that come with the kits say to do a partial boil of 2.5 gallons. I couldn’t fit that much water and the ingredients into the pot and was wondering if you could go much smaller with the volume of water and not have it affect your beer too much.

ie: could I do the same as what the partial boil calls for but only use 1.5 gallons of water instead of 2.5 gallons. At some point I assume the beer will suffer in quality and taste by using so little water with that big amount of ingredients.

It’s a non-issue now. I didn’t want to potentially screw up a whole batch to find out. What I did was get the 3 pounds of LME I had left over from some previous batch, a pound and a half of honey, an oz of Cascade for bittering and then a half ounce of Falconers Flight at flameout for aroma. I boiled those ingredients in 1.5 gallons of water and topped up to 3 gallons in the bucket. So in reality I still did a partial boil, but it was for a 3 gallon batch instead of a 5 gallon batch.

What I’m worried about is using that much honey with so little LME. 3 pnds LME to 1.5 pnds of honey… It’s fermenting away like crazy with the 05 slurry I pitched so I guess we’ll see. It will definitely be alcohol, who knows what it will taste like ha…
:cheers:

Not sure what just LME and 50% honey would make but if it’s too bad, just mix it with another of your brews. If it’s really good, you’ll have to name it something special…Honeybomb?

Good luck!

It sounds like it will taste pretty good.