Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Experimental Brewing Forum

Drew Beechum and I are co-authoring a book called “Experimental Brewing”, due to be published next spring. We’ve set up a forum/blog at
http://www.experimentalbrew.com
for you to share your experiments and thoughts on the topic. We’d love to hear about experiments you’ve done, or want to do, or what kind of topics you’d like to see covered. Let us know and you may end up in the book!

All of my brews are experiments. :shock:

Looking forward to reading this book.

And that’s one of the points we make!

I know I’ve discussed this previously (
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116067#p1016068
), but I’d love to see a “MythBuster’s” (MythBrewer’s?) chapter. There are a lot of things we do for the sake of tradition that probably aren’t as important as we think.

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”]I know I’ve discussed this previously (
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116067#p1016068
), but I’d love to see a “MythBuster’s” (MythBrewer’s?) chapter. There are a lot of things we do for the sake of tradition that probably aren’t as important as we think.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. We’d already been thinking of something like that, but I think I’ll work on experiments homebrewers can do to prove the myths to themselves.

So by “prove the myths to themselves” are you saying you’ll outline techniques to, for instance, achieve hot-side aeration? That’s how I interpreted your statement.

Cool on you for writing a book. :cheers:

[quote=“El Capitan”]So by “prove the myths to themselves” are you saying you’ll outline techniques to, for instance, achieve hot-side aeration? That’s how I interpreted your statement.
[/quote]

That’s a good idea, not necessarily for myths, but more on how to produce off-flavors. Maybe a section giving instructions on making ~1L batches with known off-flavors. We all know the descriptions of off-flavors, but I think a lot of people sort of guess when trying to pinpoint what off-flavor they’re getting. This way you would know what you’re tasting since you’ve tasted it before and have a validated point of reference. Sort of like SMaSH brewing, but all the beer ends up un-drinkable. :cheers:

Yeah - that’s kind of a crazy idea, there! Running a bunch of 1L test beers would be fun, especially if you could just ferment in wide-mouth quart jars. That could get really messy too.

Which style of base beer would you set your Sideshow of Freak Beers against?

How do you underpitch a quart jar of wort? With a dropper?

[quote=“El Capitan”]Yeah - that’s kind of a crazy idea, there! Running a bunch of 1L test beers would be fun, especially if you could just ferment in wide-mouth quart jars. That could get really messy too.

Which style of base beer would you set your Sideshow of Freak Beers against?[/quote]

I would think you would want something simple and clean, like a 15 minute cascade, or even a SMaSH.

I’ve been doing pressurized fermentations, and just started doing BIAB and no-chill. Not sure thats experimetal at this point gut its interesting. Also have a sour beer solera.

I also quit taking notes, about the only thing I do is to label some fermentors on beer style.

Okay, Denny, I’ve joined the new forum and added a couple ideas. I think you’re going to want a “Process Experiments” forum/subforum in there for everything not covered by the existing broad classifications. After all, way back in the day, I’ll bet even batch sparging was considered an experiment! As were BIAB, no-sparge, etc. And these are only sparge topics. No-chill could be part of this, no-boil, yeah, pressurized, shape of fermenters, the list goes on.

[quote=“El Capitan”]So by “prove the myths to themselves” are you saying you’ll outline techniques to, for instance, achieve hot-side aeration? That’s how I interpreted your statement.

Cool on you for writing a book. :cheers: [/quote]

Yep. We intend to offer suggestions for ideas and techniques for experiments on ingredients, processes, etc.

Processes added, Dave.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com