Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Ever find yourself

… talking to non-brewers as though they’re seasoned in the ways? I do this at work all the time. most people just nod politely & smile. I think it’s because I talk to you guys too much. :lol:

I work at a wine on premise / beer kit retailer. So I assume people know what I am talking about…but much of the time they probably think I’m in my own little beer infused world.

Actually people I talk to are in most cases biologists who at least have an understanding of what’s going on even if they’ve never done it. Haha sometimes it’s even easier to talk to them about some things than with actual homebrewers.

I’m the only homebrewer at my work and I find myself doing this as well. Many of them consume my beer, so at least they are always interested in hearing about what new things I have in the works. :roll:

this totally happens to me. The worst part is that I know just enough to be a bullshitter. I’m still a complete amateur, but because I can say things like brettanomycenes and talk about yeast variations and the different malts that are available… people come to me with questions and I find myself answering them and not really knowing what I’m talking about…

#shame

Funny thing is a year ago I never would have thought about signing up to a forum site for anything. I’m a huge basketball fan, and I’ve been brewing for years and never really had many people to talk to about them - my wife humored me for one NBA seaon (2008) but that was it.

The main difference between my NBA forum site and this one, is that on the other site you try to score points for your posts, which although it can make it fun in some respects, ends up making most guys act like unhelpfull jerks half the time.

At least here everyone is genuinely helpfull. And the overall douchebag ratio is very low (non-existant really)

I think the degree of patience required to make good beer is a pretty good douchebag repellent. :slight_smile:

I talk like a beer nerd to anyone and everyone who will listen. I’ve been known to get a few blank stares. Since I’m also a nerd-nerd though, I’ve grown used to that sort of thing. Fortunately I have a few brewing co-workers, and many other friends and family who are at least beer-knowledgeable. My wife doesn’t brew but she appreciates beer and has even helped me design recipes.

…coming accross as a pompous a**hole. This hobby has created a monster. I go to a restaurant and their craft beer menu lists Miller Lite and Bud Light. I asked to speak to the manager (he had no clue that there were some really good micro breweries within 5 miles of their location. The waiter at the downtown restaurant that asks me if I would like my English Brown Ale in a frosted glass? I calmly looked him in the eye and said “an English Brown Ale should be served between 45 and 50 and never in a frosted glass”. I could have slapped him and gotten the same effect. Ask the tour guide on the brewery tour when She completed her brewing process talk “Don’t hops get added somewhere in the process”? I was a target the rest of the tour. (Bung hole King).
PS. I’m having more fun than an old fat man should be allowed to have.

[quote=“flytyer”]…coming accross as a pompous a**hole. This hobby has created a monster. I go to a restaurant and their craft beer menu lists Miller Lite and Bud Light. I asked to speak to the manager (he had no clue that there were some really good micro breweries within 5 miles of their location. The waiter at the downtown restaurant that asks me if I would like my English Brown Ale in a frosted glass? I calmly looked him in the eye and said “an English Brown Ale should be served between 45 and 50 and never in a frosted glass”. I could have slapped him and gotten the same effect. Ask the tour guide on the brewery tour when She completed her brewing process talk “Don’t hops get added somewhere in the process”? I was a target the rest of the tour. (Bung hole King).
PS. I’m having more fun than an old fat man should be allowed to have.[/quote]

Pointing out these issues at a restaurant are completely valid though. I went to a very expensive German restaurant a while back who serve Hacker-Pschorr (my favorite beer) and when I get the stuff it’s complete garbage. I actually had to ask if it was the correct beer and all I got was a sarcastic flipant response. When he should have said, sorry sir next time we will try cleaning out our lines for a change and not serving you the old stale dregs of a keg. Had the serving staff not been such total knobs I might have given them some free helpfull advice about propper beer service. Screw-em.

I want this to be Facebook, so I can like every one of these posts. I feel like an alien when I tell people I Homebrew. Some are like…yea…cool. But most just give me the deer in the headlights look of…you do what?

I guess I’m lucky that homebrewing and microbrews are relatively popular in my area, or at least among my friends.

I’ll argue that few microbrew or homebrew people are true snob. Primarily, we don’t care what others think about what we drink and we’re night fighting for status like the guy parading the fact that he is drinking a Heinekin out of the bottle at some oonce oonce oonce dance club. Secondly, I consider appropriately served beer with regards to temperature and freshness, as well as appropriate glassware to be a functional standard. I’ve always thought “beer snob” was a bit of a misnomer. You’re not a “burger snob” if you prefer something thick, juicy, and made on your grill vs. a fast food joint, right?

I think we’re still very unrepresented compared to wine. I recently went to a higher grade establishment as far as the midwest goes. 22 pages of wine with some reaching $300+ per bottle. About 10 pages of high end liquors and mixed drinks. ONE page of beer. 3-4 of those were domestic swill. Fortunately, the beer they had on their menu seemed appropriately selected to their menu. I’m not sure if my server was one of the certified sommeliers, but I didn’t get the impression he knew or cared about the beer and food pairings. Fortunately, I had an idea of what I was doing.

Yes, I do this and it’s probably not good. There are times when people come over and they’re looking at my taps and I start syaing, Here’s a Czech Pilsner with lots of Saaz and this is an AAA with an ounce of Mt. Hood hops in the keg and… Then I realize that they’re shrugging and saying, “Oookaaaaay…” at which point I just say, Here’s a wimpy gold beer, here’s an amber, here’s a red, here’s a Festbier… :roll:

hahaha! this!

Hmmmmm…now that you mention it. I always thought they were daydreaming about themselves making beer as I talked, and talked, and talked.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com