Essential reading for extract brewers looking to go grain

So I’ve been brewing for about a year now, doing just extract brews, but recently been considering going all grain. Do you guys have any suggestions for books on the topic? I’m not totally new to brewing as i mentioned so im not looking for brewing for dummies. What information sources helped you most in making the jump??

Cheers    :cheers:

Reading a book! Why that’s just crazy talk.

If you don’t own it already, the best general purpose homebrewing book is “How to Brew” by John Palmer. It covers beginning, intermediate and advanced homebrewing and covers the topics with with enough background information on things like water and off flavors to really give you an overall understanding of the brewing process. Beyond that there are more technical books like “Brewing Lager Beer” by Greg Noonan as well as tomes on specific subjects like Chris White’s yeast book, Palmer’s book on water as well as more detailed, professional books such as “An Analysis of Brewing Techniques” from George Fix. But start with “How to Brew” and build from there.

Not a book but this will help.

http://www.dennybrew.com

[quote=“gdtechvw”]Not a book but this will help.

http://www.dennybrew.com[/quote]

I was just gonna suggest that!

It’s a great site Denny! Saved me lots of time and money! Thank you for doing all the hard work. :cheers:

Knowing that it helps people makes it all worthwhile.

Agree on the link, and thank you sir for showing us all how easy it can be…

It’s So easy that when I teach people the method, every single time the finish by saying “Is that all there is?”. I love it!

Another ++. I might have quit homebrewing if it weren’t for your cheap-and-easy page. I wanted to start doing all grain, but setting up a classic fly sparging with a false bottom or manifold seemed somewhat daunting as well as expensive. When I first found your website I assumed there had to be a catch since it sounded so (cheap-and)easy compared to the other options out there. I’ve only done about half a dozen brews with the setup, but I am really enjoying it. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. Some people assume that setup is just for beginners, but I’ve brewed 458 batches on it and still love both the process and the beer that it produces.

I’ll jump in here and say that Denny’s info on how to brew is the best and simplest I found on the net, wish I would of read it before my early adventures in brewing. would of smoothed out a few bumps I’ve hit.

[quote=“BryanH”]Reading a book! Why that’s just crazy talk.

If you don’t own it already, the best general purpose homebrewing book is “How to Brew” by John Palmer. It covers beginning, intermediate and advanced homebrewing and covers the topics with with enough background information on things like water and off flavors to really give you an overall understanding of the brewing process. Beyond that there are more technical books like “Brewing Lager Beer” by Greg Noonan as well as tomes on specific subjects like Chris White’s yeast book, Palmer’s book on water as well as more detailed, professional books such as “An Analysis of Brewing Techniques” from George Fix. But start with “How to Brew” and build from there.[/quote]

Just use the online version of John Palmer. http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

[quote=“GarretD”][quote=“BryanH”]Reading a book! Why that’s just crazy talk.

If you don’t own it already, the best general purpose homebrewing book is “How to Brew” by John Palmer. It covers beginning, intermediate and advanced homebrewing and covers the topics with with enough background information on things like water and off flavors to really give you an overall understanding of the brewing process. Beyond that there are more technical books like “Brewing Lager Beer” by Greg Noonan as well as tomes on specific subjects like Chris White’s yeast book, Palmer’s book on water as well as more detailed, professional books such as “An Analysis of Brewing Techniques” from George Fix. But start with “How to Brew” and build from there.[/quote]

Just use the online version of John Palmer. http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html[/quote]

The online version is a condensed version, not the same as the full printed book.

Not condensed, necessarily, but an old version. The online is 1st edition,. the current print is 3rd edition. It has corrected info and is much easier to read.

Palmers book is really good. I like Joy of Homebrewing by papazian (3rd ed) and Homebrew Beyond the Basics by Mike Karnowski (talks about going all grain)
Hope that may help