Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Erupting Bottles

Hey guys, I was checking out some of my bottle stock last night and noticed that a few of the bottles are erupting. Pop the cap, wait a second and they start oozing foam. I know that this can be an indication of an infection as we had one batch come out that way but these beers had all been fine in bottles for weeks to months and it was several different batches.

Two questions:

1. I suspect that storing them in my uninsulated SoCal garage with temeperature fluctuations has been the cause of this issue. I didn’t have this problem during the summer but we have had a number of nights below freezing that turn into 80 degree days. Im guessing that since the bottles we all fine during the summer that this has something to do with the freezing temperatures. Anyone had this problem?

2. Once the bottles do this, has anyone had success reaclimating them or are they just toast? I’m going to try and move them inside the house which is kept at a solid 70 and leave them there for a few weeks and hope that it goes away but if nobody has had success with this, I might just crack and toss all the beer.

Next brew: Single Hop Simcoe IIPA
Secondary: Centennial dryhop on Belgo IIPA
Primary: India Red Ale
Kegs: Cider, Sorachi Ace IIPA, French Oaked Belgian Brown
Bottles: Blackberry Wheat, Doppelbock, Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Oaxacan Chocolate Porter, Biere de Table, Biere de Garde, Summit IIPA, Citra IIPA, Cascade IIPA, Apple Pie, Spiced Pear Cider

I’ve had bottles erupt months after bottling too. didn’t matter if they were fridge stored or room-temp stored. the beer as always tasted great, so I doubt it is infection related.

my conclusion was over carb possibly from some combination of too much active yeast still remaining at bottling +/- too much priming sugar +/- too much wort-sugar (not completely fermented).

If they’d had off flavors I’d be more inclined to think infection, but when there is too much CO2 in solution, and it only happens months after bottling, I think over-carbed.

cheers.

I had something similar happen, and I think the issue was not getting the priming solution mixed well enough in the bottling bucket.

Some of the bottles were fine, some were under carbed, and some were way over carbed where i had the result you mentioned above. I also had one bottle bomb which happened in my cooler in my trunk on a 4 hour car ride. I think the vibration from the road shook it up a bit, and boom, the bottom blew out.

I would recomend at the very least getting all the bottles in a fridge to help make the yeast go dorment and keep the pressure down more.

quick drink them! It’s the only way to ensure your safety!

Try getting a bottle ice cold and see if you have the same results.

Ice cold: 31, 32, 33, little ice in the neck? And what conclusions would we draw from either eruption or no eruption?

:cheers:

The colder the beer the more CO2 can be disolved in it. If he is getting gushers at room temperatures they might be salvageable at low temps. Worth a shot I’d think.

thanks. I keep mine in the mid-high 30s, and still have eruptions. I’ll take a couple to near freezing and see if that helps.

cheers.

I’ve had this problem happen a few times. I have a feeling its due to not doing the priming sugar right. I read in How to Brew that you should make sure you get the sugar going to a decent boil, let it cool down, and pour it into the bottom of the bucket before you transfer your beer into there and that should mix it up better. I’ve tried those things… I’ll see in a week if its worked.

Pouring beers that erupt is indeed an art, one I have mastered thanks to my lack of mastery when it comes to priming solution.

I batch prime with dissolved dexterose. 2/3 cup of D to 2 cups water, boiled and cooled to temp before hitting the bottling bucket. I could do less if that would help, but from what I read this is a pretty standard bottling regimen. I find it odd that this did not happen during the summer though, that’s why I was thinking temperature. Most of this is a moot point anyway since I switched to kegging a few months back, I only bottle a few per batch just for folks who miss the keg.

I agree with the recommendation to put the bottles in a place where they can be kept cold ASAP and drink them now.

An infection will also cause this problem. Some wild yeast and bacteria, for example, will continue to digest sugars that would have otherwise remain undigested in your beer, putting out CO2. In time, the beer will get thinner and thinner, more bubbly, and more bitter.

Chill and drink now.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com