Equipment Modifications

I recently made a couple of changes to my equipment. I have not seen anything similar on this forum so I figured I would share my ideas. I was trying to solve 2 different equipment issues as economically as possible.

1. I do 10 gallon boils and was tired of splitting the batches in two regular buckets for fermenting. Here is my new fermentation vessel, a 15 gallon #2 HDPE, same material as the buckets but thicker, storage tank. Has two ports on top. The little one has a #6 stopper to hold the air lock. #5 1/2 would be a better size to use. Caps are threaded with rubber o rings, makes a nice tight seal.

2. I hate trying to use an auto siphon for two reasons. First it seems like every time I work on setting up the siphon end the tubing flops around, jumps out and touches something so it needs to be cleaned and sanitized again or I leak beer on the floor. Two, I wanted a true on/off, not the pinch clamps that sort of work. Solved both problems by adding in a valve threaded onto barbs in the line. It is on/off and everything can be taken apart easily to clean the siphon without the tubing end flopping around. The siphon can be set up then the tubing attached once the siphon is ready to go, no additional flopping. Maybe I am the only one who cannot control the tubing, but the first time I used this set up it was very convenient for me.

[attachment=2]ferment.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]siphon1.jpeg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]

Fermenter looks good. Is it light enough to put a washcloth in it and pick it up and swirl for cleaning?

Empty it weighs 7 lbs. I used PBW for the initial cleaning. Got all the new plastic smell out of it. I was able to shake it in all directions with sanitizer in it. It will be a while before I find out how easily it cleans. Have 10 gallons fermenting in it now and will rack a new wort on top of the yeast cake in a couple of weeks.

Nice work around. Especially if you find them locally and avoid shipping.

In the past, someone found some plastic barrels that had baking soda/power, I think, in them. They guy was almost giving them away. Until he found there was a market for them. These had large openings in them so you could clean them easily. I’m sure they are still a good deal. Anyone have the contact info for the guy? Here is a picture from Greg’s site.

http://www.mullerbrau.com/Fermenter1.JPG

If PBW doesn’t work, you could move to a caustic cleaner like Star Super CIP. Or a similar product :wink:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Nice work around. Especially if you find them locally and avoid shipping.

In the past, someone found some plastic barrels that had baking soda/power, I think, in them. They guy was almost giving them away. Until he found there was a market for them. These had large openings in them so you could clean them easily. I’m sure they are still a good deal. Anyone have the contact info for the guy? Here is a picture from Greg’s site.

http://www.mullerbrau.com/Fermenter1.JPG

If PBW doesn’t work, you could move to a caustic cleaner like Star Super CIP. Or a similar product :wink: [/quote]True story. He lives in Ohio and he is out of them I think. They are available on eBay now. Look for Curtec 7055 and 13 14 or 15 gallon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200849025434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_12909wt_1172

Thanks for sharing your smart solution. Please provide a source for the in line shutoff valve threaded onto barbs in the line.

The barbs and valve I got at Lowes. They are near the plastic tubing that you use for the siphon line.