Enjoying my brown @ room temp

I 've been drinking my bottled brown ale at 8.7%. If I wanted a bottle, I would put a couple in the refrig the day before. It has a strong taste for me (alcoholy), so I did a black and tan (a stout + my brown ale ) ,it helps to cut the alcohol taste. Last week I tried the brown @ room temp , and WOW. Much better favor and a back favor of a sweet malt. I am sure if I drink a couple, I will fall down as I try to stand.

1 Like

You should call it UPS since it hits you like a little brown truck! Seriously though, I’ve noticed many of my beers gain so much with a little temperature. I have a brown on as well that is much better warmer and I like my Imperial IPA on the warmer side as well. Enjoy!

The refrigerator is way to cold for many styles. Browns stouts, and Porter are best at cellar temperature 45-50 and low carbonation. I’ll serve mine in big stemless wine glass let it sit for awhile. Then hold it my hand and swirl it vigorously to release the carbonation and warm it further. It’s the only way I enjoy my barley wine

2 Likes

Speaking of warm I highly recommend everyone try a Bierstachel…

1 Like

I’ve heard of this but never tried it. Wonder what I have around I can use for a bierstachel

The first time I tried it we heated up a jumbo Allen wrench to red hot. There is a metal mass to heat to residual sugars ratio that is perfect I imagine.

1 Like

Was it stainless steel ?

No but at the time we were not picky. Stainless would be preferable.

This is what is done at Bock fest up here… BUT, the hot poker is a hunk of copper about an inch square… With some 1/2" pipe for a long handle… It sits over a wood fire, heating… I call it… pour it, poke it, and drink it! I think its like drinking liquid velvet! Sorry… I was over come in the dreamy delight of it! Sneezles61

2 Likes

I have my doppelbock I’m going to try it later. Not to derail the subject but hey @irishjoe maybe give this a shot it may vaporize some of the alcohol

I like that, thanks WMNoob

I find the “All beers must be served ice cold” philosophy I encounter at virtually every restaurant and bar I’ve ever been to very frustrating. Especially at places that tout their beer selection and expertise. I have even encountered this while on a craft brewery tour. They served their Russian Imperial Stout ice cold! :persevere:

2 Likes

I have chilled this beer before and it was good. I have this around 50-55 . In responds to going on beer tours, I also find places serve crafts too cold. The ones that serve lagers cold and ales at 45-50 ,I tell them, “nice job on the temp”. I have warmed the tasting glass after the first taste and get a different flavor from the taste.

2 Likes