England breweries and pubs

I just booked a 12 day vacation to England this summer with the wife and two teen boys. We’ll be eating Ye Olde Cheddar and Macs for the next few months due to the cost of airfare alone! :slight_smile: Planning to stay in Hyde Park area for several days and then to the North near York. Anyone have any suggestions for must see Pubs or breweries in either area? Cheers!

I’ve found Fancy a Pint and Beer in the Evening helpful for finding pubs near where I’ve stayed.

http://www.fancyapint.com/ http://www.beerintheevening.com/

Cask-conditioned ales are the best English beer. My personal standard is that a pub has to have at least four cask ales for me to consider drinking there. Look for the hand pumps when you walk in.

I did the Fuller’s tour last fall and highly recommend it. I posted some pics on the AHA forum:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/f ... ic=13784.0

In York, there’s the York Brewery. I’ve visited but didn’t take their tour.
The Maltings in York is one my favorite pubs ever. It’s right by the station

http://www.maltings.co.uk/

The King’s Arms in York is famous but it’s a so-so pub. It’s flooded multiple times and you can see watermarks on the wall.

And a tourist tip: do not miss Yorkminster. It’s got some spectacular stained glass and a Roman fresco in the crypt.

BrewDog has several bars in England but I’m not sure if any are near where you are travelling to. They’re making some pretty good stuff these days. They’ve calmed down on the high ABV stuff. Their bars are pretty nice and I’d suggest stopping in if you’re near one.

If you’re into history at all, run across the river to “The Anchor”. It’s right beside the rebuilt Globe Playhouse. Shakespeare and his actors used to use the upstair of the anchor to change during performances. Other than that there are just too many to mention. I haven’t been in London in over a year and miss it dreadfully. Cheers mate. :cheers:

I was in London a few months back and was a little disappointed with the cask ales. A couple weeks back I had someone stay with us who is from London. He says the cask ales in London aren’t always that good, too. According to him, most regions/cities have a local beer and they are best served fresh in the area. When the beer is shipped to London, it just isn’t as fresh.

So my suggestion would be do some research into any areas around London you may go to and find the local beers. You may be able to taste them in London, too, and see if there is a difference.

Oh, and I had a hard time finding high ABV beers. I had just left Belgium drinking Trippels and quads and couldn’t find anything over 5.5%! On shopping trips with the wife and mother-in-law, stronger beer was needed!!

[quote=“CCM”]I was in London a few months back and was a little disappointed with the cask ales. A couple weeks back I had someone stay with us who is from London. He says the cask ales in London aren’t always that good, too. According to him, most regions/cities have a local beer and they are best served fresh in the area. When the beer is shipped to London, it just isn’t as fresh.

So my suggestion would be do some research into any areas around London you may go to and find the local beers. You may be able to taste them in London, too, and see if there is a difference.
[/quote]
Good point, you want to find well kept cask ale. The CAMRA Good Pub guide is worth a look,as some pubs don’t turn beer over fast enough to keep it fresh.

[quote=“CCM”]
Oh, and I had a hard time finding high ABV beers. I had just left Belgium drinking Trippels and quads and couldn’t find anything over 5.5%! On shopping trips with the wife and mother-in-law, stronger beer was needed!![/quote]
English beer is taxed based on gravity, so you won’t find many stronger than that on tap.

The Anchor is rather more important as the former brewery tap of Barclay Perkins. The area isn’t bad for pubs. There’s the Market Porter just around the corner on Park Street, right opposite Borough Market. A little further there’s the George, the subject of Pete Brown’s latest book “Shakespear’s Local” and London’s last galleried coaching inn. Moving a littlle further there’s the Royal Oak on Tabard Street, a Harvey’s pub that sells most of their range, including cask Mild, something of a rarity in London.

Find an older staff member where you are staying and ask him where the best places to get a pint are.

One thing to look out for is some pubs will not allow kids in. I ran into this when I was there about 9 years ago. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

Have a safe trip.

[quote=“GarretD”]One thing to look out for is some pubs will not allow kids in. I ran into this when I was there about 9 years ago. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

Have a safe trip.[/quote]
It depends on the age of the kids. Children of 14 and older are allowed in pubs, but not allowed to drink alcohol. At 16, children are allowed to drink beer, wine or cider to accompany a meal if in the company of adults.

The easy way around any restrictions on children in to sit outside. Of course, that only works when the weather is good.