Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Eliminate secondary?

I have given a bit of thought to eliminating use of secondary fermentation, unless I am dry-hopping or aging a dark.

I only ever keg, and I feel as though keg-conditioning clears the beer out anyway.

Thoughts?

There have been quite a few threads on this, and most agree that secondary isn’t worth it as long as you make sure it stays in primary until it is truly done. Seeing as you keg, that is doubly true. A keg is a great “secondary” or lagering vessel. I even dry hop in the keg - works out fine.

The only time I rack my beer into a secondary is if I don’t have time to bottle. Normally, i drop the temp of the freezer 3 days before I bottle to 40 deg. “Coldcrash” and it clears the beer. I have never added any kind of additive to clear the beer. I don’t believe there is a reason to do a secondary on a amall beer… Have fun and drink more beer ;b

Well, I should have added unless you want to dryhop or add fruit … Ect!

Whenever this comes, there are a host of folks who say that they rarely, if ever, use a secondary. Is there anybody out there who still swears by using a secondary? Anybody who’s left a beer in the primary and had it turn out badly?

For you secondary-skippers, are you all using a bucket for your primary and leaving it in there four weeks? I’ve heard that buckets are susceptible to oxygenation. Does that you mean that you long primary-ers are using carboys as primaries? What is the outer limit for a bucket?

I only secondary my big beers that I want to bulk age. 3 weeks primary for most of my brews with buckets or Curtec drums.
I have even switched to DH in the primary. I brew enough to have lots of yeast stored away, so not a problem.

I use buckets for primaries and typically leave the beer there for 3 weeks or so. No oxidation issues due to that.

Using a secondary helped me as an inexperienced brewer… and by that I mean it helped me with patience and helped the clarity of my early beers. I still use them periodically but in my experience they aren’t necessary all the time.

However, I would recommend that new brewers use them and stop using them when they understand why they don’t need them, not just because the consensus of experienced brewers says they don’t need to. It’s just one of those experiences that (IMO) it’s good to have under your belt.

I use buckets for primaries and typically leave the beer there for 3 weeks or so. No oxidation issues due to that.[/quote]

I’ve picked up a bucket with the idea of using it for my first shot at a lambic. Hoping I can leave it in there a year or so without problems. Otherwise I’ve always used a BB. Didn’t want to tie one of them down that long.

I use buckets for primary, and typically keep ales there for ~3 weeks and lagers for 4-5 weeks. No oxidation issues to report. The plastic is suppose to allow very slow infiltration of oxigen, but that certainly doesn’t seem to be enough to affect a normal beer. Perhap if it was kept in a bucket for months at a time it might matter, but I haven’t done that test.

I dont use the secondary. I primary and then straight to the keg. I keep my keggerator temp at 32 and let it condition from there. Beer turns out grade A+ everytime. Just ask my freinds. Can go through a 5 gal. keg in one session! :cheers:

:cheers:

Impressive!?

I never use secondary unless it is a huge Gravity beer.

Thankyou! :cheers: [/quote]
:cheers:

Impressive!?[/quote]

I guess I secondary everything, except some wheat beers. I bottle.
Just how I’ve always done it from batch 1.

I use glass carboys. I never secondary anymore, and dry hop in the primary. If I bulk age, I do it in a corney. I’ve left beers in the primary for as long as 6 weeks because i was busy

I use 6 gal better bottle or bucket…I no longer use glass carboys!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com