Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Elevenses Ale OMG!

I kegged the JP Elevenses Ale on Saturday after a week in primary and two weeks in secondary (set to 10 PSI) and today was curious to see how it was coming. The reason I was testing it was because during the last few quarts of siphoning from the secondary into the keg I got some yeast in the keg. To my surprise it tasted absolutely delicious…yeast and all. I actually drank that first glass from the keg. IMO it needs about another week to age and fully carbonate but I’m really happy about the taste. I’m debating whether to dump in some gelatin? That first glass was slightly cloudy and I’m guessing it will clear up after the first 2-3 pints. It was very clear in the secondary. I use Irish moss in all my boils now and haven’t seen any problems.

I was wondering do you guys that keg automatically add gelatin to the keg or do you wait and see what the clarity looks like first?

I’m officially addicted to brewing :slight_smile: Oh and my Oatmeal stout I posted on that was bland is tasting better every day…That stuff is awesome and almost as good as Sam Smiths.

I’m learning that the old adage “patience is a virtue” is certainly true when it comes to brewing!!!

I never add gel. I dump the first pour and enjoy the rest.

:cheers:

No gelatin for me, either. I used to get chill haze sometimes, but that seems to have gone away since I got into the habit of using Irish moss last winter.

It really depends on the style, but I often use gelatin and find that it works very well to quickly clear your beer. But get it ICE cold in the keg before you add your gelatin.

I don’t use gelatin. Never felt a need to. My beers are generally pretty clear after the first week or so in the keg. I use Irish moss or whirlfloc and find both to be pretty effective.

Thanks guys. Since I started using the Irish moss on every batch they are pretty clear coming out of the secondary. I didn’t mean to brag but I’m so happy with that Elevenses…thanks Mr Palmer :slight_smile:

I don’t keg, but am finishing up the last few JP11s that I brew back in April (I actually call it ‘Belladonna Took’s Oaked mild’ from the BTV episode). Still pretty darn good. I love the touch of smoked malt. I met JP at a local beerfest and gave him a bottle back in August.
That JP, he sure knows how to put together a recipe. :cheers:

I don’t keg, but am finishing up the last few JP11s that I brew back in April (I actually call it ‘Belladonna Took’s Oaked mild’ from the BTV episode). Still pretty darn good. I love the touch of smoked malt. I met JP at a local beerfest and gave him a bottle back in August.
That JP, he sure knows how to put together a recipe. :cheers: [/quote]

Man you got that right. After a week in the keg this stuff is nectar of the gods…It is so smooth and the toasty flavors come through so well. Toasting the oatmeal was a plus as well. I wanted to post for anyone that hasn’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it.

Elevenses has been on my radar since it debuted - My brewing schedule is kind of booked for the next 14 batches or so, but this one might sneak its way in there as well. I bet it’s amazing. Good call on toasting the oats.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com