Brewed an Irish Blonde yesterday. Efficiency reading came in at 107%. Not possible, I know.
Here’s how I’ve been measuring…
After mash and sparge are complete and all the wort has been extracted, pull a sample after thoroughly mixing.
The pre-boil volume in the boil kettle was 11.25 gallons (for a 10 gal batch).
So I took a gravity reading of the sample, and after adjusting for temperature, the gravity came in at 1.077.
The OG of the beer is only supposed to be 1.063!
After running the numbers through the Brewers Friend efficiency calc, it gave me 107%.
I checked my hydrometer in 60 degree water to verify that it was accurate…it is.
I let the sample cool down to room temp and took another measurement…still higher than the OG of the beer should have been.
After the boil and chill, the OG came in exactly where it should be at 1.063.
Either my wort isn’t fully mixed (not likely) or the Brewers Friend calculator is off, or I’m doing the whole process wrong.