Dubbel recipe advice

Trying to build a recipe for a Belgian Dubbel because I have a lot of the fixin’s already on hand. Definitely leaning towards the upper end of the style in terms of malty flavor, abv and color. Whatcha think?

67% 9lbs pale malt
15% 2lbs munich
6% 12oz caravienne
4% 8oz caramunich
2% 4oz special B

8oz D2 candi syrup
8oz table sugar

Est OG 1.072
Est FG 1.016 (plan on mashing low so this may be lower)
7-7.5% abv

19 IBU
1oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 60min
1oz czech saaz 15min

Wyeast Belgian Ardennes (3522)

More D2! Use the whole bottle. You won’t regret it.

Recipe looks good…I find the Ardennes is pretty clean(for a Belgian)…which I like…

more sugar would be appropriate…the challange when brewing Trappist ales is being able to stomach adding 15%-20% sugar when your brewing sense is telling you not to…

I always do a cool (45F) secondary, bottle condition at 70ish for two weeks and then store at 50ish for a couple weeks before digging in…FWIW.

Enjoy.

I made a dubbel with 3522 and didn’t get the yeast flavor profile I wanted. Also it finished super dry and I mashed at 155. It would have been better if I had a bit more sweetness and I think your recipe would do that compared to mine. Looks good. But more syrup and 1214 instead of 3522 sounds good to me.

About the D2. I got a large quart sized mason jar full from someone for $10. So I have a LOT. How much in weight or volume do you recommend? My only concern is the SRM. I’m already at 21SRM for this recipe, well above the upper end of the guideline of 17. Adding a lot more D2 is going to spike the SRM up to the black range won’t it?

As for the yeast, I’m gonna stick with 3522 because I have any extra smack pack in the fridge right now that I’d like to use soon.

Just a bump so Denny doesn’t miss my question :slight_smile:

[quote=“dobe12”]Adding a lot more D2 is going to spike the SRM up to the black range won’t it?[/quote]Go to a lb of the D2 and check the SRM - if you’re concerned with it being too dark, cut a little of the cara malts to compensate (you can make a fantastic dubbel with just base malt, Special-B, D2 or D-180, and some cane sugar).

I think I figured out the SRM issue. I use hopville.com and the color for Belgian Special B was listed at 220˚L. I know the darkness can vary a lot, especially with this malt, but Northern Brewer lists their Special B at 147˚L. After correcting that the SRM is more in line after upping the D2 to 1lb. It’s still high for a Dubbel (sitting at 25) but much better than the 33SRM that I was coming up with. I’m ok with “brown to dark brown” and not “black”. Hopefully some reddish tints come through.

So here’s the final recipe… I think.

5 Gal
OG 1.075
FG 1.015-1.020
SRM 25
IBU 18.5

10lbs Pale malt
2lbs Munich
12oz Caravienne
8oz Caramunich
4oz Special B
1lb D2

1oz Czech Saaz 15min

Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522

Still deciding if I want to split this into two 2.5gal batches and sour one with Brett. Would be my first time souring anything so I’m a little nervous about it. I like soured beers, but only if done lightly.

[quote=“dobe12”]Still deciding if I want to split this into two 2.5gal batches and sour one with Brett. Would be my first time souring anything so I’m a little nervous about it. I like soured beers, but only if done lightly.[/quote]Brett alone doesn’t sour. If you want a subtle funk, pitch the dregs from one or two .375L Orvals to the secondary and let it sit for six months before sampling.

Would I have to harvest the dregs and build it up to a larger amount or literally just pour the last ounce or so from the bottom of the bottle into the secondary? I’m looking for a fruity sour flavor… maybe like a tart cherry pie… at least that’s what I’m envisioning. Will Orval dregs add that type of sourness? Or would something else work better?

[quote=“dobe12”]Would I have to harvest the dregs and build it up to a larger amount or literally just pour the last ounce or so from the bottom of the bottle into the secondary?[/quote]Just carefully decant all but the last ounce or two, and pitch that. To me, Orval does not have a cherry pie character, more of a leather-ish mild funk. If you want to add “tart cherry pie”, you could just pitch a vial of WY5526 - haven’t tried that myself since I like to use dregs (and get to drink the beer), though.

Was just looking at that yeast on Wyeast’s site. Last question… I swear…
When using these types of yeast do I have to worry about a glass carboy becoming contaminated? Meaning with a good oxyclean scrub and starsan cleaning after the beer ages and sours, will all the bugs be gone and not infect my next beer that goes in there? And do I need to segregate ALL plastic brewing tools that come in contact with this beer once the yeast is added (tubing, autosiphon, bung, etc…)?

1.5 lb. by weight is what I usually use. IIRC, that’s 16 oz. volume.

Think about why you’re using both caravienne and caramunich. Think about what each will add. If it was me, I’d drop both. Between the Munich and the Special B, the other 2 are kinda extraneous IMO.

[quote=“Denny”]1.5 lb. by weight is what I usually use. IIRC, that’s 16 oz. volume.[/quote]Been a while since I used D2, but I think you’re correct. The D-180 comes in one-lb bags and a stylish, black, two-lb stainless bottle (my son used one for water at school this year).

I don’t have experience using either. Just saw they were in a few Dubbel recipes while researching the style. I like the idea of keeping a grain bill more simple, so if you say they’re unnecessary, I’ll take them out. Would I be right in thinking that both Caravienne and Caramunich) would add flavors that would already be coming from the Munich and Special B? So are Caramunich and Caravienne just more roasted versions of their base malt (munich & vienne)? And would Special B be an ever darker, more roasted (not using the correct terminology here I’m sure) version of one of these base malts?

I don’t have experience using either. Just saw they were in a few Dubbel recipes while researching the style. I like the idea of keeping a grain bill more simple, so if you say they’re unnecessary, I’ll take them out. Would I be right in thinking that both Caravienne and Caramunich) would add flavors that would already be coming from the Munich and Special B? So are Caramunich and Caravienne just more roasted versions of their base malt (munich & vienne)? And would Special B be an ever darker, more roasted (not using the correct terminology here I’m sure) version of one of these base malts?[/quote]

Your thinking is correct. Caravienne and CaraMunich are “cara” (crystal) versions of Vienna and Munich. With Munich, Special B, and D2 in your recipe, my feeling is that you don’t need the “caras”.

Good info. Thanks Denny. I was kind of assuming each of those malts would add another layer of flavor to the final product. If using them all together is redundant, then out the cara’s will come!

Since I’m removing a little over a lb of crystal, should I up the Munich and Special B? Or will 2lbs munich, 1/4lb special b, and 1lb D2 be enough for a good strong malty Dubbel?

What you’ve got there now is a lot like the dubbel recipe I make. You could another lb. of Munich if you want to, but you don’t have to. IIRC, most Belgian dubbels don’t use Munich at all, but that certainly doesn’t mean you (and I!) can’t.

Love me some Munich! Keeping it and upping it!! Ok, recipe is final. All the grain is weighed out and ready for a nice crush.

10lbs Pale ale
3lbs Munich
4oz Special B
1lb D2 Dark candi syrup

1oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 15min

Wyeast 3522

Thanks for your help, Denny.