Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Dual stage temp controller suggested settings

I just got my Ranco two stage temp controller and I just wondered what most peoples settings are for these things. My setup will be a 7cf chest freezer and a very small 200W space heater. I’m looking for settings that won’t have my freezer kicking on and off frequently. I was thinking something like this:

Let’s 66* as a desired ferm temp

S1 (cooling) - 66* differential 2
S2 (heating) - 65* differential 1

I don’t want the heat forcing the freezer to kick on and vice versa. The way I see it, these settings will allow the freezer to cool down to 66 when the temp gets to 68 but if the temp dips below 64 should be brought back up to 65 by the heater. is that correct?

Is this too aggressive?

Does the Ranco have cut in and cut out settings and does it have anti short cycle settings? Those are options on the Johnson controllers that I set up in addition to the differential and set point. I set my anti short cycle delay to the max 12 minutes to keep the freezer compressor from working too hard.
If the Ranco instructions are anything like the Johnson, you need to read them 5 times and then stare at them like a 3d stereogram to take shape. I was never able to do stereograms :shock: so I went with trial and error.

It doesnt appear to have anything that prevents it from running for any length of time. Each stage has 3 settings: Temperature, threshold, and mode (heat/cool).

I’ll usually set a larger heating differential than cooling. My SOP for a standard ale is set both stages at 64, the heating around 5 and the cooling at 1. I have run a 1 degree differential many times and not had any issues with cycling (about 3 years on a craiglist fridge). I think there is some kind of anti-short setting as some times the compressor in the fridge isn’t running and the light is on. For a recent tripel, I pitched at 63, set both stages for 70, heating diff to 10 and cooling to 1.

I use two different thermostats that are set to overlap barely, but my heating is a simple light bulb, so it takes a while to heat it up (my chest freezer is larger- around 22 cubic feet). The lagering set point for cooling is at 50 and the heating is kicking on at around 48 and off at 51F. They both are on occasionally, but not continuously. Setting it lower at this time of year resulted in too cold of a temperature. I’m not sure how the dual stage controller will work if they overlap slightly…

What’s the purpose behind such a high differential for the heat? This time of year, my basement’s ambient is in the high 50’s and that might cause some hefty temp swings if set such a high differential on the heat side of things (when fermenting ales that is).

[quote=“mattnaik”]
What’s the purpose behind such a high differential for the heat? This time of year, my basement’s ambient is in the high 50’s and that might cause some hefty temp swings if set such a high differential on the heat side of things (when fermenting ales that is).[/quote]
My basement ambient is about 62F all year so I’ll usually cool to 62F let it rise to 64F, with cooling starting at 65F. I’ll also often tighten my heating differential to 1 once I hit target temp to hold it for the duration. I could easily set my heating diff to 3. Really doesn’t matter what it is for my purposes, as long as it’s big enough to ensure an initial “natural” rise to target fermentation temp.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com