Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Dry Yeast Starter?

I seem to recall (can’t remember where) that if one is using dry yeast, they should not make a starter. I just would like to confirm that this is true, and if so, why?

Yep, no starter. Just rehydrate. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the yeasts nutrients and a starter messing with them or something. Or I could just be pulling that out of my a$$. But definitely don’t need to make a starter with dry yeast.

The dry yeasts are dried with sufficient nutrient that when rehydrated, no additional nutrient is necessary nor optimal. I know that some folks don’t rehydrate, either, but at least some knowledgable commentators have said that pitching directly to the wort causes up to 50% mortality.

:cheers:

Plus there’s enough yeast in a packet to meet the requirements for most beers. Why make more work for yourself? I wouldn’t exactly call making yeast starters fun.

Uhh … I would.

:oops:

I like too sniff my starters. I’m kinda hooked on that yeasty bready beery smell.

My wife laughs at me, she calls it sniffing the yeast.

[quote=“Vulkin’”]Uhh … I would.

:oops:

I like too sniff my starters. I’m kinda hooked on that yeasty bready beery smell.

My wife laughs at me, she calls it sniffing the yeast.[/quote]

I laugh at you, too! :wink: Don’t worry, in a couple hundred batches you’ll get over it!

A month or two ago there was also a lively discussion about whether you need to rehydrate dry yeast, or if you can just pitch it dry. Note that instructions from Fermentis (S-04, US-05) say you can do it either way, and they give you instructions for either method.

I’ve pitched dry yeast straight into the carboy and have had great results. My reasoning was that it was less complicated and lower chance of infection. I don’t really want to open the debate again, more to tell you that you can probably do it either way and it will work fine, and you’ll have beer at the end.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com