Dry yeast re-hydration

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“wmwadeii”]
For me I’m glad I did boil it. Once I poured the hot water out and the pot cooled/dried it had a powder like residue on the bottom. Probably from hard water or maybe some other deposit.[/quote]

It’s my understanding that temporary hardness elements that are driven off by boiling (Ca and Mg) is actually good for yeast health.[/quote]

I’ll probably pick up a water test kit next time I’m at Lowes, I know people in my area have hard water but I’m not 100% that’s what it is. Could be chlorine or even soap scum. Either way my current batch is a happy little bubbler so I know the yeast is happy too. :wink:

The minerals in well water are good for the yeast. The minerals in well water may not be good for all types of all grain brewed beer. If you are on a municipal water supply, and you don’t treat the water before brewing or making a starter, you are adding chlorine or chloramine to your beer.

The water report comes in handy for this I would think.

Apparently, my county only adds chlorine at certain times of the year (if I am understanding the report right). I may ask them for a more comprehensive report, since mine doesn’t report a lot of info.

For chlorine and chloramine, it states chlorine is only in the month of march and at 1.91 ppm. Chloramines are at 3.15 ppm. These seem pretty low to me, but as of right now I am only researching all-grain, since I just started and want to get some more experience under my belt.

The water report comes in handy for this I would think.

Apparently, my county only adds chlorine at certain times of the year (if I am understanding the report right). I may ask them for a more comprehensive report, since mine doesn’t report a lot of info.

For chlorine and chloramine, it states chlorine is only in the month of march and at 1.91 ppm. Chloramines are at 3.15 ppm. These seem pretty low to me, but as of right now I am only researching all-grain, since I just started and want to get some more experience under my belt.[/quote]
Those levels of chlorine and chloramines are very low. My water is at about 5 ppm of chlorine, which is well below the sensory detection level, and below what you would want if you weren’t starting with a well-protected water source to begin with. Seems like most US municipal water systems have the chlorine so high that you can’t miss it as you try to drink a glass.

OK, definitely thought they were very low.

I live in a very rural part of NC. The county that supplies my water also doesn’t really have any big cities in it at all either. I used to live in Philadelphia, where I am almost certain the water was as bad as you described it.

Overall, it seems everything in my water is very low…

pH is 7.2
Sodium is 37.98 ppm
Fluoride is 0.71 ppm
Sulfate is 63.5 ppm