Dry Hopping

Has anyone else noticed that dryhopping before kegging is much less effective than if you were to bottle? I had a couple IIPAs that were killer in the bottle, TONS of aroma that I remade in kegs and it just wasn’t there.

I find the opposite actually.

Haven’t notice that specifically, but wanting to get a bigger hop aroma and flavor from my beers on tap, I’ve been dry hopping right in the keg. Leaving the hops in the keg for the entire time the keg is being used. So far it’s working out nicely.

[quote=“Wahoo”]I find the opposite actually.[/quote]+1 And by adding a small, fresh dry-hop to the keg as it starts to carb, the hop character remains consistent through the life of the keg.

Could have just +1ed Dobe12, too. :wink:

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Wahoo”]I find the opposite actually.[/quote]+1 And by adding a BIG, fresh dry-hop to the keg as it starts to carb, the hop character remains consistent through the life of the keg.

Could have just +1ed Dobe12, too. :wink: [/quote]

You had a typo. Fixed that for you.

Well, “small” only in comparison to the dryhop in the fermenter - I typically add about 1/2 to 2/3 of the weight of the dryhop used in the fermenter, so 1-3 oz in the keg is typical.

I am about to make my first dry hopped IPA and i wanted to know if i HAVE to use a hops bag, can i just put the pellet hops in the corny keg. I thought about it and what i came up with that it will clog my diptube, connections, lines, and faucet. Have any of you tried to dry hop in keg with out a bag to contain the hops?

good question. do you guys bag 2-3 oz of dry hops in the keg or not necessary?

[quote=“andjenliang”]Have any of you tried to dry hop in keg with out a bag to contain the hops?[/quote]I have not tried it with pellets, but I have done it with whole hops with a short piece of stainless braid fastened to the end of the diptube (which I shortened by an inch or so). I think the pellets might act like yeast/sediment in the keg - first pint would have some debris, then pour clear until you reach the end (or move the keg and disturb the layer). But I just bag them and don’t worry about it.

OH DEAR GOODNESS, what you have wrote about the braid tube is now a game changer. I have always thought about putting something as a filter to get better pour w/o permanently altering the diptube, but i am going to steal your idea with the braided SS.
Thank you shadetree

I have been keg hopping just for awhile now. I feel that it is more effective than dryhopping provided that you can wait a week to drink it (as per a previous post, the first several days with a keg hop are a salty resiny disaster).

I always keg hop with pellets, usually 2 oz. and I use a hop sack. It works well, is easy and cheap and I have yet to notice particulates in the beer. I would worry that pellets would leave particulates. I am loving the idea of putting a braid on the diptube and using whole though.

[quote=“andjenliang”]I have always thought about putting something as a filter to get better pour w/o permanently altering the diptube, but i am going to steal your idea with the braided SS.[/quote]I tried it without shortening the diptube and could not make it fit. I looked for a teflon or stainless 90 to slip on the end of the diptube, figuring it could be forced in without bowing the diptube too much, but couldn’t find anything low profile enough to work. So I ended up cutting a little off the end with a Dremel - I just keep that one diptube set aside for use in dry-hopping.