Dry Hopping vs. Flame Out

I plan to try my Black IPA next week. I’ve never made any type of IPA or dry hopped before.

I’m not sure I want to mess with dry hopping so I was planning on just adding .75-1 oz of hops at flame out to try to squeeze out some extra aroma.

Does anyone else not mess with dry hopping and just load up at flame out?

[quote=“raspsu1”]I plan to try my Black IPA next week. I’ve never made any type of IPA or dry hopped before.

I’m not sure I want to mess with dry hopping so I was planning on just adding .75-1 oz of hops at flame out to try to squeeze out some extra aroma.

Does anyone else not mess with dry hopping and just load up at flame out?[/quote]

unless you’re making a 3gal batch, i wouldn’t call adding .75-1oz “loading up” at flameout

if you are going to forgo dryhop (whic I don’t recommend - flameout and dryhop are different) i’d do at least 2, 3 oz even better at flameout.

to give you an example, I made my house IPA (10gal) last night, among many other additions, there was 4oz at flameout, and then there’ll be another 4oz for dryhop once fermentation is complete.

My general philosophy is to try what you feel like trying and to learn from the results. I have done both and I prefer dry hopping, but that is my opinion. Try the flame out addition and see if you like it. If you don’t, consider dry hopping. I agree that you will need to add a lot more than an ounce to give you substantial amount aroma. There is a small amount of bitterness will be added with the flame out addition. I also wouldn’t worry about dry hopping being too much work or anything like that. Just throw the pellets in the carboy and use a grain bag on the end of your racking cane to filter them out when you are racking.

I did some more reading and thinking after I wrote the post and decided that I’ll likely just dry hop. I’d wanted to remove my post but I can’t. Oh well, thanks for the opinions.

If I recall correctly, Gordon Strong (Highest ranking BJCP judge in the world, and author of Brewing Better Beer) doesn’t dryhop; he does flameout.

Honestly, that’s where I got the idea to do the flame out. However he says in “Brewing Better Beer”, “I don’t dry hop much anymore, although I do when I make IPA’s…”. Which is pretty much what I’m doing. So that says…dry hop.

I would definitely go the dry hop route. I have been dry hopping in the primary after active fermentation has subsided.

I accidentally ordered two sinistral warrior kits. The recipe calls for 2 oz warrior hops at flameout. The first batch I made per the recipe. The second I dryhopped the 2 oz instead of adding at flameout. The dryhopped batch is way more hoppier in the nose and taste. I’d give the first batch a very slight edge on the bitterness. From my ONE experience, dryhopping will bring out more hops than flameout.