Dry Hopping Suggestions

Hi guys, so I’ve tried a few different dry hopping techniques, and am curious what anyone else thinks the most efficient and effective method is.

I like the easy straining of using leaf hops, and I like the way pellets insist the flavor but I’m always nervous that the hops are going to get transferred come bottling time? I use my secondary carboy an can’t figure out how to use a hop sock without it sinking to the bottom.

Any help would be great!

Thanks and Cheers

I always just throw the pellets in the carboy and let them roam free for a while. after a week i cold crash it and they all settle to the bottom.

When I’m not dry hopping in the keg, I too will just throw them into the fermenter and let them free float. They will settle out allowing you to rack off of them. easy peasy

Thanks guys. I’ve got an imperial black IPA fermenting right now and I plan on using a couple oz. of cascade an maybe an oz. of willamette.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

I’m going to be dry-hopping with leaf hops in a 6.5-gallon bucket fermenter. I was planning on leaving it in the primary and not racking to a secondary. Can I just sprinkle the hops on top of the wort once primary fermentation has settled down? If I use whole hops in a hop bag, wouldn’t that introduce oxygen as the bag drops into the wort?

[quote=“erockrph”]If I use whole hops in a hop bag, wouldn’t that introduce oxygen as the bag drops into the wort?[/quote]Unless you put enough weight to sink the bag (and it will take more than you think), the bag will float for a long time before the weight of the wet hops pulls it under, and it may not ever fully submerge depending on how tightly you pack the hops in the bag.

That’s what I meant. If I drop in a weighted hops bag (using a couple of sanitized glass marbles or something like that), isn’t there a bunch of air trapped in the hops that would bubble out? Would that be an oxidation concern?