Dry hop with citrus peel?

So I tapped my Belgian Wit today. Nice and wheaty with a light breadiness and spice, but no hint of citrus sweetness despite having thrown some peel in right at the end of the boil. Would it help/be a bad idea to take some fresh citrus peel and just toss it in the keg like some dry hops to try to get some of that flavor I’m looking for?

Just to be overly safe, I would make a tincture with the orange peel/ vodka or whatever to make sure no nasties get into your wit.

Could always top off with an orange slice and squeeze he juice into the beer, toss in the slice and enjoy :cheers:

Don’t forget the coriander. I think that actually adds more orange flavor than orange peel.
I bottle, and when doing a Wit I add 1/4 tsp. crushed coriander and 1/2 tsp orange peel when I boil up the priming sugar. A couple times instead of the dried orange peel I have used zest from an orange. I think you could boil up 1/4-1/2 cup water with some orange and coriander and add it to the keg.

[quote=“JimRMaine”]Don’t forget the coriander. I think that actually adds more orange flavor than orange peel.
[/quote]

THIS^^^ where the hell did people get the idea they should add citrus to a wit?

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“JimRMaine”]Don’t forget the coriander. I think that actually adds more orange flavor than orange peel.
[/quote]

THIS^^^ where the hell did people get the idea they should add citrus to a wit?[/quote]

Blue Moon?

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“Denny”][quote=“JimRMaine”]Don’t forget the coriander. I think that actually adds more orange flavor than orange peel.
[/quote]

THIS^^^ where the hell did people get the idea they should add citrus to a wit?[/quote]

Blue Moon?[/quote]

If Blue Moon is a wit, then I’m Marilyn Monroe.

No offense, you haven’t aged well. :wink:

They’re also marketing Coors light as beer.

I’ve never had a problem just washing the fruit before zesting. FWIW, I’ve read that citrus tests high in pesticides, so organic is recommended.

Chamomile is also great in a wit.

For a recent 2-gallon batch of a golden ale, I cut up two large orange peels and soaked them in vodka in a small covered glass in the refrigerator for @ 48 hours. I dumped the whole thing (vodka and peels) into the primary for the last 3 days or so of a 3-week ferment. This gave me a perfect amount of orange/citrus flavor after bottle conditioning (at least according to my pilot testers…) It’s early but I suspect the flavor will wear off over time but it’s only 2 gallons so it will be gone soon.

I had previously experimented with orange peels AND coriander but it came out too harsh. I think I just used too much for that batch. In that situation I think the coriander was added at the last 5 minutes of the boil or flameout.

Just my two cents. I have a grapefruit IPA on tap that was dry hopped with the zest of three grapefruits. I didn’t do anything to the fruits before zesting other than washing them. I wouldn’t be too concerned with the zest of an orange, or really any citrus fruit, harboring microbes. This especially true if the zest is added post fermentation.

?[/quote]

If Blue Moon is a wit, then I’m Marilyn Monroe.[/quote]
Now THAT"S funny!!! Tell 'em how it is Denny!! :cheers:

Thanks Denny, I’m chastised :smiley:
Should have typed ‘wheat’, but ‘wit’ is shorter.
And that looks like a weak excuse even as I typed it.
My brewing experiences with coriander and orange peel have indeed been with Bluemoon clones.

[quote=“JimRMaine”]Thanks Denny, I’m chastised :smiley:
Should have typed ‘wheat’, but ‘wit’ is shorter.
And that looks like a weak excuse even as I typed it.
My brewing experiences with coriander and orange peel have indeed been with Bluemoon clones.[/quote]

I think he was chastising me. They do call it a “Belgian style white ale”, not wit. Like an “American light pilsner”.

Personally, I like the orange zest. More importantly, my wife does. :smiley:

The point I was trying to make, when the general public think of wit (or Belgian style white ale), the ad with a tall glass of cloudy liquid topped off
with an orange slice probably comes to mind.

By general public of course I’m not referring to the enlightened minds who spend time on this or other related forums. :cheers:

Nice cover Mike! I too enjoy a blue moon every now and then.