Dry barleywine yeast

I’ll be brewing an English barleywine next week. The O G will be 1.095-1.100. I’m going to use nottingham dry yeast, but only have one pack and Mrmalty says that’s not enough. I have four 6 gram packs of regular munton’s and two 11 gram packs of S-33. Which would be the better choice?

S-33 would be better. Ferment in the mid-60s, pitch the nottingham and 1 or 2 of the S-33s.

Next week?
Order up some more Nottingham before you brew.

Next week?
Order up some more Nottingham before you brew.[/quote]

+1

or if you’re cheap you could do a couple starters after rehydrating the stuff you’ve got to build cell count. That would be cutting it close depending on how many days you have left. I certainly wouldn’t pitch a half-finished starter.

The dry yeast will be healthier with out doing a starter.

If you don’t have a LHBS to stop in this week, order some. It should not cost more than $1 to have them mail you some. Of course they may balk with the transaction fee for that small of a charge.

How do you figure?

Starters aren’t recommended with dry yeast as their cell count is usually more than sufficient. But if you need more cells than that starters are perfectly fine to build cell count & give them nutrients that they lost during the dehydration process. After rehydrating completely there’s not much difference between dry & liquid. Heck, you could even run them through a centrifuge & get nearly the same product.

How do you figure?

Starters aren’t recommended with dry yeast as their cell count is usually more than sufficient. But if you need more cells than that starters are perfectly fine to build cell count & give them nutrients that they lost during the dehydration process. After rehydrating completely there’s not much difference between dry & liquid. Heck, you could even run them through a centrifuge & get nearly the same product.[/quote]

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Next week?
Order up some more Nottingham before you brew.[/quote]

Unfortunately I’ve used up my brewing budget and have to use what’s on hand yeast wise.

You can make a starter with Nottingham. If you have a week it shouldn’t be a problem. Or you could borrow $4 from a beer drinking friend, to be repaid in barleywine.

How do you figure?

Starters aren’t recommended with dry yeast as their cell count is usually more than sufficient. But if you need more cells than that starters are perfectly fine to build cell count & give them nutrients that they lost during the dehydration process. After rehydrating completely there’s not much difference between dry & liquid. Heck, you could even run them through a centrifuge & get nearly the same product.[/quote]

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

You basically just confirmed what I said. They don’t recommend it because it’s supposed to be an optimal pitch already. Also ‘proofing’ tends to mean waking it up, the same thing as doing a small starter & pitching at high krausen. We’re not talking ‘proofing’, we’re talking doing a full or stepped series of starters to build a higher cell count. It’s not a 1st time brewer technique, but doing a starter that keeps them healthy, builds those reserves & boosts cell count isn’t all that advanced either. I’ve seen it under my own microscope.

Since my finances took a dump during the recession I don’t borrow nothin’ from nobody. :?

I brewed this on wednesday. My system didn’t take kindly to cramming in the amount of grains I used and only gave me 1.082. For a three gallon batch at that gravity one pack was enough, since the S-04 said to just sprinkle it on the wort I went with it. At the three hour mark I had 1/3 inch of foam and in the morning it was burping every four seconds. After I got back from my walk it was every three seconds and I added enough honey to get me up to 1.095. It was soon up to every two seconds and by evening I had to replace the air lock with a blow off tube. It was now burping very rapidly like someone blowing a raspberry. This morning the foam had receded and I put the air lock back on and it was still burping more than once a second.

Yep, that’s S-04 doing It’s thing!

I use 2 packs of re-hydrated US-05 and oxygenate the hell out of my 1.104 Barley Wine and get NO strong alcohol esters. Those pink packs are the most sturdy yeast I’ve ever used with all the character i need.

S-05 is the yeast in my American barleywine recipe.

Brewed this a week ago and took a gravity reading this morning. I’m pretty sure the honey I added on the second day boosted the O G up from 1.083 to about 1.092-1.093. It’s down to 1.018 which I’m pretty sure is not too far under 10%. The hydrometer sample tasted great with no hot burn or harshness of any kind.