Dried Lager Yeast Sugestion

I am going to Brew Jamil’s BitBurger clone. The dried yeast listed uses S-23 at 50deg.The yeast description says it produces fruity and estery at the temp. Should I go with w34/70 or BrewFerm Lager instead. What do ya all think.

Drew…

[quote=“drew22to375”]I am going to Brew Jamil’s BitBurger clone. The dried yeast listed uses S-23 at 50deg.The yeast description says it produces fruity and estery at the temp. Should I go with w34/70 or BrewFerm Lager instead. What do ya all think.

Drew…[/quote]

Fruity and estery sounds like ale yeast to me. I’d go with 34/70 or S-189 if you can find it.

34/70 is very nice for a dry lager yeast. It’s supposedly a dry version of White Labs 830 which is one of my favorite lager yeasts. Keep it around or just below 50° and keep it consistent and I think you would be happy with it. Cheers & good luck with the beer.

I personally got diacetal out of 34-70, but that was my very first lager. I don’t, let me put that a different way, I know that I did not aeriate enough. I even pitched two packs of it. Would not be afraid to try it again. The fruity decription, in s-23, is what I got from other members on this forum so I decided not use it. Good luck and enjoy!!!

I guess I’m surprised by the diacetyl but it’s always possible. When my lagers are done(ish) in the fridge, I take them out and just rest them on the basement floor for a few days to clean that up. I would be more inclined to see sulphur from 34/70 since it’s a yeast meant for pilsner production. Brewerbender brings up good points: Use enough healthy yeast, aerate your wort properly before pitching, pitch into wort that is around 45-50°F and keep temps cool and consistent. These are keys to making good lagers. Cheers Beerheads.

I would suggest a WLP 830 or 800 for Bitburger as the preferred yeast, but I like S-23 dry lager yeast and I re-pitch it for 5 or so generations. Keep it cold and it will not be fruity, nor sulfury, nor will it require a diacetyl rest. Let it float up into the high 50’s or 60’s and you will get those esters.

I may be alone in that opinion, but look at the variety of opinions here on things like using Maris Otter malt in English and Irish ales …

Maybe if you don’t have time to make a starter - use a split batch with a couple different yeast types - then you can repitch the one you like best on the next batch.

:cheers:

I didn’t realize 34/70 was the dried version of WLP830. WLP830 is what is suggested for the liquid yeast. Looks like I will be trying out the 34/70. Anything other than dried yeast I have to order from NB. This will be my first attempt at a lager too. wish me luck.

I’ve been using S-23 for years at colder temps and have never once noticed “fruity or estery” flavors. :roll:

34/70 is a nice yeast.

Good luck with it. I have a “BREWING LAGERS” page on my site with some basic information if you think it would help. Link is below, go to BREWING LAGERS. I agree, 34/70 will do you up righteous if you do everything else properly. Cheers.