Doing a double batch

I want to do a double batch of the 1 gallon kit for the rum runner stout. Is there anything I should be aware of? Like, do I need to increase the boiling time of the wort, or the fermentation time?

Double the ingredients, keep the boil the same, double the yeast, give it the same fermentation time.

Cool, that is what I was hoping. Thanks.

While you add it why not a five gallon brew. Insted of 2 gallon. Same time just more ingredients.

This i dont understand. 1 gal boils. Seems to me. Not worth brewing small batches. A 1 gal beer gone before you know it

The reasons people brew just one gallon batches (while enjoying the homebrewing hobby) are likely to be as diverse as the people who brew them. A couple of reasons come to mind:

• One gallon kits are priced to be a “easy decision” gift for someone who has talked about giving homebrewing a try.
  • One gallon batches have a minimum cost (both in money and in time), but can still produce great results.
  • One gallon batches have minimal space requirements. People homebrew in small space apartments (or condos) in urban environments.

Regardless of the batch size one typically brews, one gallon batches are (for many people) a low cost way to try out ideas and new recipes.

I think many people do one gallon brews for experimental purposes.

1 Like

I have only done 1 gallon batches thus far because that is the kit I started with. My wife purchased it for me a couple years ago for our anniversary. I have been wanting to get into bigger batches and this is my first attempt.

I recently purchased an old icing bucket from my local Walmart, which will allow me to ferment a larger batch. I will also be using the base of my wife’s stove top pressure cooker to boil it as I will be able to do a bit more than two gallons.

BTW, the reason I asked my original question is I thought the bigger the batch the longer the boil and fermentation time. But I guess that is just due to how complicated a brew I would be doing.

It may take s wee bit more time to get a boil going with the larger volume but once it’s boiling everything stays the same. It won’t take any long to ferment. Are you doing extract or biab? Your boil of rate will probably be the same. Just watch your ending volume. Good luck and check back

I am just doing two one gallon recipe kits of the rum runner stout from NB. Though, now that I think about it I may have to get a really long spoon to stir the wort without scalding my hand.

I do a lot of 5 gallon partial boils which only require beginning with 2.5 gallons of water. I bought a 5.5 gallon kettle at Walmart for $62 to do this. The kettle has a one-half inch clad bottom which prevents scorching. The clad bottom comes in very handy when doing general kitchen duties for big batches of chili or simmering 10 pounds of corned beef. It was a very small outlay of cash for a multi purpose cooking utensil.

edit: Plastic spoons are best when using stainless steel.

I did the same thing with that kit…the best bottle was 14 months old.

Just a quick update on this. Did the boil over two and half weeks ago and after I let it cool I transferred the wort into a 5 gallon bucket I purchased from Walmart (food grade plastic). Just yesterday I was able to bottle it and I think things are going pretty well.

A couple things I ran into:
When I was filling one of the mesh bags with the grains I accidentally dumped some into the pot so some of the grains stayed in the pot for the duration of the boil, which I then strained out when I transferred the wort into my fermentor.

Another problem I ran into involved by failing to do basic math. I quickly ran out of bottles while filling them with the fermented beer. Good thing I had a spare growler on hand I was able to use, cuz I really didn’t want to lose any of this batch. I ended up with about 2-1/2 gallons of brew which would basically fill about 26 (12 ounce) bottles. Lesson learned.

Best thing… You did a save and no grains were harmed! Thats a winner! Sneezles61

I’d keep that growler in a safe container somewhere. They’re not really made to handle the pressure of bottle carbing and there is a chance of it breaking or even exploding from the pressure. I know there are folks who have done this with no problem, but I’ve also heard some horror stories–just be careful. Bottle bombs are seriously dangerous. Good luck.

Ron

1 Like

No worries. Not the first time I have used the growler when bottling. I pretty much figure since you take one sugar priming tab per 12 ounce bottle you would need about 5 for a half gallon growler, so I just put in 4 to be on the safe side.