Doh! Pre-crushed 50lb sack!

So–much to my chagrin–the 50lb sack of 2-row I purchased from a NB competitor was pre-crushed! I was aiming for uncrushed… I used some for today’s brewday, as I had no other option, but now I’ve got about 42 lbs of pre-crushed Rahr 2-row remaining. I closed the sack as tightly as I could, but these aren’t airtight sacks.

So, how screwed am I?

Your probably fine for 3-4 months. If you could put them in some zip top bags it might be better.

The concern I would have is the separation of the husk from the meat. One batch may not get enough husks and you could end up with a stuck sparge. And the OG’s would be off.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Your probably fine for 3-4 months. If you could put them in some zip top bags it might be better.

The concern I would have is the separation of the husk from the meat. One batch may not get enough husks and you could end up with a stuck sparge. And the OG’s would be off.[/quote]

Oh damn, and I didn’t even think about that. I wonder how big a “drift” will occur with 8-10 lbs. Hopefully not too much.

The husks should rise to the top and the meat to the bottom of the bag as it’s moved around. Husk being lighter in weight.

May want to get some rice hulls just in case.

We bought a sack of pre-crushed barley for cheap and it has been doing just fine. For a 10 gal batch, we threw in an extra pound or two just to be safe. We hit our OG (1.060ish) on every batch.

Sounds like a good time to throw a barley wine into the brew schedule - that will take care of half of it…

I think you should bring it over here to me and I will add some more grain to it and make a 20 gallon batch of something. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’d be quite the drive, Greg. And I’d miss the superbowl! Anyhow, the store in question was totally awesome and did an exchange for me. My mash went a little long today as a result, but I can live with that.

:cheers:

That’d be quite the drive, Greg.[/quote]Yeah but it would be a lot of fun.

fill the sack with hot water then you would have a BIAB :lol:

[quote=“Silentknyght”]So–much to my chagrin–the 50lb sack of 2-row I purchased from a NB competitor was pre-crushed! I was aiming for uncrushed… I used some for today’s brewday, as I had no other option, but now I’ve got about 42 lbs of pre-crushed Rahr 2-row remaining. I closed the sack as tightly as I could, but these aren’t airtight sacks.

So, how screwed am I?[/quote]

Your fault or theirs?
If theirs I’d complain long and loud.

Just brew more frequently till consumed. Make some big beers! Make some sour beers that require long aging.

Gallon zip locks or vacuum sealed bags, put in the freezer would make it last quite long - several months for sure.

:cheers:

That’s all I’ve ever used as I don’t have a mill and never have had a problem hitting my targets been brewin for 8 years with a min 10 batches a year

Sorry forgot to say just fold over the top and use a spring clamp to keep it closed