Does this FG sound right considering mash temp?

So I made a pale ale with an O.G. around 1.039 and after six days it’s at 1.004. I mashed at 149F for about 90 minutes, but some parts of the mash tun got as low as 145F. I used White Labs California ale yeast with a 900ml starter ( no stir plate). Fementation took off in less than 4 hours and didn’t stop all week - which worries me because the FG is so low after only six days in the primary.

Anyway, if it goes lower, I’m gonna dump and assume some wild yeast took hold. I’m not interested in drinking a 1.001 watery pale ale.

Also the efficiency seems low,right? Oh well, that’s a problem to tackle on another day!

8# 2 row

1/2 # carastan

8 oz carapils

1 oz Cascade FWH

1 oz cascade (20 min)

1 oz Cascade (5 min)

WLP 001 w/ 900ml starter

I think 1.004 would be normal for what you started out at. I did a hef that was that low and it turned out very dry. I tried doing an batch sparge with only one running and my effeciency was horribly bad. I don’t think your effeciency is that bad for the amount of grain you used. I use about 10 lbs of grain to get around 50 points. For a pale ale I usually shoot for about a 154 mash.

There could be a hydrometer reading error, 1.004 seems very low.

Don’t dump it without being absolutly sure. Let it go to the end, take a taste test before doing anything.

Cool. I will keep an eye out and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

That’s about where I’d expect it to finish. Your mash schedule is typical of something like a light lager or a saison, where you want a bone-dry finish.

59% efficiency for 5 gal, 70% for 6 gal. Not terrible.

[quote=“Waszup”]There could be a hydrometer reading error, 1.004 seems very low.

Don’t dump it without being absolutly sure. Let it go to the end, take a taste test before doing anything.[/quote]

Wise information here.