Does gelatin help with astringency?

Will gelatin help remove some astringency?

I over sparged and its the 1st time i got astringency

Batch or fly sparge?

Total grain bill, water volume you wanted and actual water used? Pre-boil OG, Post boil expected/actual OG?

It’s my impression that it’s difficult to over sparge. Unless you are getting close to doubling your volume.

I don’t know to answer to your question. You could try it. Won’t hurt the beer.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Batch or fly sparge?

Total grain bill, water volume you wanted and actual water used? Pre-boil OG, Post boil expected/actual OG?

It’s my impression that it’s difficult to over sparge. Unless you are getting close to doubling your volume.

I don’t know to answer to your question. You could try it. Won’t hurt the beer.[/quote]

Haha i should have read the product description…It was batch sparge and i split it up into 2 sparges…I did not think i over sparged but when i tasted the wort it was that sensation tea gives…maybe my PH was off…I have the store bought gelatin if it cant hurt its going in few days before kegging during cold crash…thanks

PolyClar is reported to be more effective in fining polyphenols. Tannins are related, but I’m not sure how effective it would be at removing them. Its worth a try.

[quote=“mattbrew83”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Batch or fly sparge?

I don’t know to answer to your question. You could try it. Won’t hurt the beer.[/quote]

Haha i should have read the product description…It was batch sparge and i split it up into 2 sparges…I did not think i over sparged but when i tasted the wort it was that sensation tea gives…maybe my PH was off…I have the store bought gelatin if it cant hurt its going in few days before kegging during cold crash…thanks[/quote]

Highly unlikely your sparge or ph is the issue.

Again, how much grain did you use? How much water should you have used and how much did you use? expected OG, actual OG (preboil or post boil)

This conversation is like asking a doctor what is wrong with you. He run a batter of test and tell you that you are fine. THEN you take your shoe off and show him an ingrown toe nail.

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“mattbrew83”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Batch or fly sparge?

Haha i should have read the product description…It was batch sparge and i split it up into 2 sparges…I did not think i over sparged but when i tasted the wort it was that sensation tea gives…maybe my PH was off…I have the store bought gelatin if it cant hurt its going in few days before kegging during cold crash…thanks[/quote]

Highly unlikely your sparge or ph is the issue.

Again, how much grain did you use? How much water should you have used and how much did you use? expected OG, actual OG (preboil or post boil)

This conversation is like asking a doctor what is wrong with you. He run a batter of test and tell you that you are fine. THEN you take your shoe off and show him an ingrown toe nail.[/quote]

14lbs 5oz grain…4 gallons mash and 5 gallons sparge…exp OG was 1078 actual og was 1070…I split the sparge volume in half and sparged twice @ 180*F to mash out…That probably too hot i quessing

[quote=“mattbrew83”]

14lbs 5oz grain…4 gallons mash and 5 gallons sparge…exp OG was 1078 actual og was 1070…I split the sparge volume in half and sparged twice @ 180*F to mash out…That probably too hot i quessing[/quote]

I sparge vary similarly, adding boiling water to the grain. The grain never gets above 170*.

Unless you water’s ph is terribly out of whack, ph is not likely your problem either.

[quote=“mattbrew83”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Batch or fly sparge?

Tasting wort pre fermentation is often misleading. Geletain wont hurt your beer but you may be suspecting you have a problem that may not even be present in the final product.