Dodged a bullet

Was going to brew last night right when I got home from work. Well I got home from work, got kind of busy and didn’t get a chance to right away. about 7-8pm my wife noted the house seems kind of warm. Sure enough, the air conditioner has gone on the fritz.

No big deal, temps are in the low to mid 80’s, so it is bearable until someone can come out today with a normal service fee. BUT had I brewed as planned, I would be been placing an emergency call at 11pm last night just to save the beer. The basement (with AC running) gets to a perfect 63-64 degrees. without it, was in the mid to upper 70’s if not a bit higher

Yes I would of paid for an overtime extra fee - not for the comfort of the family ('eh, they will live) but if my beer needed it, boy does the checkbook come out :smiley: But again, luckily nothing in the fermentor. I will have them come out then brew another day.

Good to hear it worked out. I brewed last week and my fridge I ferment in conched out as soon as my 20 gallons of APA got to pitching temps at around 10pm. The next morning after placing a service call…it just started working again. Dodged a bullet myself!

A quick trip to Home Depot for a large Rubbermaid container and a second stop at a convenience store for 20# of ice would have been a lot cheaper than an off-hour service call.

I really am not sure if I would of really donwe the service call. Not sure I even want to think about how much that might of been. Honestly your suggestion is much more likely what I would of done if I had brewed. I have never done the ice bath / t shirt / fan thing to cool it, I have not had a need to (yet) but i could of seen myself on here at 12 mindnight searching for exact processes. Or I could ask my neighbor to beer sit my stuff in his basement, ha ha. that would be a funny 10:30pm call. Hey Ron, how cold is your basement? can I bring this bucket thing over and keep it down there for a few days?

There is a Meijer (kind of a huge grocery store thing) 10 minutes from my house.

having said ALL of that, I will self admit to keeping my the thermostat in the house at whatever setting keeps the basement at a prime temp. Means a bit colder in the rest of the house some times. saves me $ in the winter, costs me a bit in the summer. But I will worry more about the temp down there and adjust the thermostat based on that then the comfort of my kids and wife. I figure their temp range is much more tolerable. :slight_smile:

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]Was going to brew last night right when I got home from work. Well I got home from work, got kind of busy and didn’t get a chance to right away. about 7-8pm my wife noted the house seems kind of warm. Sure enough, the air conditioner has gone on the fritz.

No big deal, temps are in the low to mid 80’s, so it is bearable until someone can come out today with a normal service fee. BUT had I brewed as planned, I would be been placing an emergency call at 11pm last night just to save the beer. The basement (with AC running) gets to a perfect 63-64 degrees. without it, was in the mid to upper 70’s if not a bit higher

Yes I would of paid for an overtime extra fee - not for the comfort of the family ('eh, they will live) but if my beer needed it, boy does the checkbook come out :smiley: But again, luckily nothing in the fermentor. I will have them come out then brew another day.[/quote]

Does your wife peruse this forum? I hope not, for your sake. :wink:

not on any way, shape, or form…

I find plenty of other ways to get in trouble.