Do you name your beers?

Exactly what the subject line says.

I brew a lot, and my friends are always asking me what I’ve got brewing. I brew about 65% from kits and 35% from my own recipes, so it usually goes like so:

“Well, I’ve got Caribou Slobber brown ale, Waldo Lake Amber, Sinistral IPA, and a witbier.” Which is immediately followed up with, “What’s the witbier called?” Then I have to explain about how it’s actually my own recipe, so it doesn’t have a name.

But I could give my beers names. I could arbitrarily decide that I’m now serving Penitent Priestess Pumpkin Ale, Dolorous Deacon Doppelbock, Angry Acolyte Altbier, and Sinful Sister Sahti.

So, do any of you name your beers?

1 Like

I do some of the time. Usually if a friend asks me to brew something I will name it after them. Other beers if something comes to me that is fun. I generally think it is fun and part of the creative process.

yer dern tootin’! Wrong Direction APA, Bad Blood Sour Imp. Stout, Agave Me A Buzz, Loud Mouth Braggot, Dill Pick-ale, It’s Not Crap! Strong Scotch Ale, OFD’s Old Foul Ale (which was a Dogbolter can kit I added to & beefed the Frank up). the list can go on and on. I even went through a stage in '00-'02 where I threw my favorite bands in: Motorhead Stout, Legacy of Brewtality (Misfits), ect.

yes.

Smoken’ Warrior Stout was my favorite name so far. Just an Imperial Smoked Stout with nothing but warrior hops

Only when I create my own recipe…so, not often. So far, I have a Black Thunder Blackberry Wheat and my Dubel Belchin’ Pumpkin Ale.

Porter, IPA, Sasion, …

Yes.
I name all of mine once I get a recipe formulated that I am satisfied with.

2 Likes

I always do, but I attribute the author when I use their recipe, so I have a fair number that start out with DC or JZ then the style. When I make up my own, I go a bit more exotic, Like this weekend I am brewing up a concoction that is cream ale based, but I am adding a little crystal - a session beer for the football season that I am calling Bearspiss Ale (Chicago Bears fan, obviously). I have fun with it. My Oktoberfest is called MO’s Malztastique, for example (Munich Oktoberfest that is very malty and, if I may say, fantastic).

Presently on tap are my Major Maibock, Nein Fartz Schwarz, Bucky Brown and (one i did for the Big Brew) Bucksnort Ale.

:cheers:

Yep, I started naming them with my second batch. Many of my names are references to the inspiration beer, although sometimes that gets so convoluted that I’m the only one who gets the joke (nothing new there :smiley: )

The wife usually comes up with names. Revolution Wheat (brewed on July 4th), Nut House Amber (brewed as acorns fell on the roof), Bee’s Knees Porter (she thought it was that good) and In The Buff Pale Ale (that was an interesting brew day).

I do. I think that’s half the fun of it. I have my Baby Brew (milk stout to celebrate my baby girl), 2 Penny Pale, Dawg Pound Brown, and my ESB, ASB (Akron’s Special Bitter). I like naming them and people always ask me the names.

I name some of my brews when it seems fitting, but not all (as you can see from my signature). Nikko’s Wobbly Wine is a barley wine I brewed a week after my son was born. It’s aging now and I’ll crack the first bottle open on his 1st birthday and a bottle every year after (Ok, maybe 2 each year) in hopes of sharing a bottle with him some day. His name’s Nick (I often call him Nikko), he’s quite wobbly and at 10.9%ABV this beer should make me wobbly too. Hence: Nikko’s Wobbly Wine.

But most of the time I don’t name them until I have a recipe that I’m completely satisfied with. Then it gets a name.

I throw a name on them when the whim hits me - especially if they are to share.

Sergeant Stout (named after…Sergeant Stout)
Triple Jump Pilsner (for a track coaches party)
Veteran’s Ale (bottled on Veteran’s Day)
By George brown ale (my buddy George helped brew it)
Honk THIS (my attempt at Goose Island Honker’s Ale - successful!)
etcetera…

Hi All, I only add names to those I create. Stock recipes keep the stock name. I tinker with labels but since I mostly keg and peeling lables off bottles stinks, I make them and laminate them for the top of the korny. Here’s a few. Most have been made, some are prototypes for upcoming beer ideas.

^I can’t help but notice that there are a handful of naked women on your beers and I would just like to toss it out there that you should have a naked dude pushing a lawn mower to even things out for the ladies. I’m a guy so I like the directions your working with, but equality is always nice and I have a great mental image of someone agonizing over a computer trying to put that label together.

On a more important note; what do you all actually print your labels on? Because I’m not very computer savvy I print on those rectangular name tag stickers and do my label design on the Microsoft Word template for them.

I do name some individual beers, but I also name most after the name I gave my homebrewery.

Mousetail : This comes from the fact that when I first started brewing I lived it a craphole with tons of mice. One actually got into my 25KG bag of malt, and I had to pick out mouse terd before milling every batch. One day I had cleaned the malt the night before and the next day found a cheeky little bugger in the pail (lid had a bunghole that I didn’t cover) Had to clean it a second time.

Now I use the tag Mousetail for all my Lagers, and my last name Brittain’s for all my british ales - Brittain’s Best Bitter for example.

I have also named one of my beers Schwartzhog after a groundhog who showed up on brew day and tried to get into my mash. After I dumped the grain the little bugger chowed down on it for a hour. I honestly thought it was going to explode his stomach.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]^I can’t help but notice that there are a handful of naked women on your beers and I would just like to toss it out there that you should have a naked dude pushing a lawn mower to even things out for the ladies.
On a more important note; what do you all actually print your labels on? Because I’m not very computer savvy I print on those rectangular name tag stickers and do my label design on the Microsoft Word template for them.[/quote]

Partially nude only. I like the looks of vintage postcards, retro prints etc so thats what I try to incorporate on occasion. Being a flaming heterosexual and married to a gorgeous Irish Blonde, even she appreciates my labels 8)

I use avery 8165’s and MSPublisher. I am by no means good at this stuff and there are plenty of peep’s that blow my stuff away, re: BYO’s label contest for example. So the labels are just a hobby and if I bottle I use 1" circle labels for the caps only. My labels for kegs are done on a laminating machine. I print on regular paper, cut them out and seal them in plastic tag cases, then zip tie them onto the korny handle.

Laminated label

At least for me, the best part about putting together a new recipe is coming up with the name.