Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Do some beers take longer to bottle condition?

I have an IPA bottled and after 3 weeks it is conditioned, but man it has an aftertaste that was not there before bottling. I assume this is due to it not being fully conditioned yet. It seemed like my stout conditioned to a much drinkable state by this point.

So I ask…Do some beers take longer to condition before they taste their best??

Oh and I know this beer is a bit green, but I do notice the difference.

Its been my observation that all beers take time to come into their peek flavor…and that differs from one style/receipe to the next…wheat and IPA’s are known to be best when “young”…but a prime example of the opposite…with NB’s Nut Brown Ale…I hated it when it first carbonated…thought it was terrible…but, 2-3 weeks later it was so delicious and smooth I didn’t even want to share it!..sooooo…if your beer’s not quite what you want it to be today…give it a couple of weeks and try it again…might be perfect! Cheers! :cheers:

I just bottled a doppelbock last night that ask to condition at least 6 months before opening.

I have some beers that taste great early and some that take a few months to hit their prime. As a general rule, beers less than 3 weeks old taste like seperate ingredients and then at about 3-4 weeks, they get married and taste like one great beer. This is similar to how leftover chili or meatloaf tastes better after the ingredients have had time to meld.

Every beer I’ve ever brewed (20 batches or so in now) has gotten better with age. I always try to save a six pack to drink as far down the line as I can possibly wait. I have a “Brew Bible” or book where I write down a ton of notes about each batch’s brewing process, bottling, readings, taste profile, etc. This way I know how to change things up and how the taste profile can evolve.

Still… sometimes it’s pretty hard to not touch those tasty little buggars…

What kind of aftertaste are you talking about? It could be yeast bite, IPA yeasts typically take awhile to drop clear. Three weeks is kind of minimal. Carbonation does change the flavor of a beer though. Its possible that a flaw wasn’t obvious prior to carbonating.

So, I tasted my first brew (Caribou Slobber) at every stage: the pre-pitch OG sample (holy sweet and bitter batman!), the pre-primed beer on bottling day, and the primed beer on bottling day. I cracked the first bottl open after 1 week of bottle conditioning. It was good, but as was so eloquently stated above, it still tasted like separate ingredients. Unfortunately, I pretty well tore up that batch during that first week via sharing it with various people and drinking a couple a day myself. I still had 12 or so left by the second weekend (2 weeks after bottling), and I was amazed by how “married” all the flavors had become.

By this past weekend (three week mark) I had four left, and had two people I still wanted to share with. Through a heroic act of self-restraint, I limited myself to 1 beer Friday night (three weeks since bottling), and wow! It was really just totally amazing. It’s been really cool experiencing the aging process. Caribou Slobber is definitely a beer that needs to cool its jets in the bottle. Once it does, it achieves phenomenal balance (in my not-so-experienced opinion).

Anyway, I gave two of the three remaining beers away, one to my dad (wanted to impress him :wink: ) and the other to my sister in law (she helped me bottle). For the last remaining bottle, I engaged in another heroic act of self restraint: I labeled and dated the cap and shoved the bottle to the back of the fridge. I have a lot of other beers on the way, and so I hope to keep that last Slobber in reserve for awhile. Maybe until my birthday in April or my son’s in May. We’ll see. I love American brown ales, so it’ll be tough! I suppose I’m wondering if I should’ve left it out at room temp until I’m ready to drink it?

To provide a modicum of on-topic commentary, I’m very curious to see how the Chinook IPA matures in comparison. I’ll crack the first open Thursday or Friday night (1 week) to see where things stand and whether or not I agree that IPAs, unlike Caribou Slobber, are best served “young.”

I remember my first batch (Brown Ale) where I had stashed a 6-pack away and found it a month later. I could not believe how much better it was compared to the rest of the bottles which were gone within 2 weeks. I made 4 batches in my first month of brewing and learned very quickly to have a long pipeline and keep it full. That way, the beers have plenty of time to mature and condition properly. 11 years later, my pipeline is almost 200 gallons, not including buckets.

MullerBrau, was that last sixer at room temp or in the fridge? Will beer continue to condition in the fridge at all, or does it need to remain at room temp?

It was at room temperature. The beer conditions faster at room temp. It will condition in the fridge too and clear much faster.

Gotcha. I’ll leave it in the fridge then, as it’s still a little hazy while the flavors already seem to have mellowed beautifully.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com