Do I need to Step Up Starter Again?

I made a massive yeast starter for 10 gallon Oktoberfest. 2.5 gallon starter which I stepped up a week ago with another 2.5 gallons.

The yeast calc on Brewers Friend says I will have plenty of yeast for my Oktoberfest.

However, brew day got pushed back. We’re now going to brew on the 25th instead if the 18th.

I’m going to decant the starter wort off and put the slurry in the fridge for the next week and a half.

Do you think the cell count will still be high enough or should I do one more step up in the starter?

Thanks!

I think so, I’ve used slurry up to a month old and it takes right off. I would definitely leave a good amount of the beer over the slurry, and then decant it right before pitching.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I think so, I’ve used slurry up to a month old and it takes right off.[/quote]+1

What would you say is a “good amount?”

It’s in a 5 gallon carboy, a little over half full.

It’s in an ice bath in my sink right now cold crashing.

I was going to syphon off most of the starter wort and dump the rest into a sanitized growler with the ceramic swing top to keep air tight in the fridge for the next week and a half.

[quote=“stompwampa”]
What would you say is a “good amount?”[/quote]
I think in inch or two on top is enough.

[quote=“stompwampa”]
I was going to syphon off most of the starter wort and dump the rest into a sanitized growler with the ceramic swing top to keep air tight in the fridge for the next week and a half.[/quote]
I wouldn’t personally use a sealed lid. The yeast will still be off-gassing CO2 and you don’t really want to carbonate it. I’d just put a piece of sanitized tinfoil on top.

Yeah an inch or two is enough to keep the air off the yeast. I personally put my slurry in quart jars and seal the tops, the yeast don’t make much CO2 and theres only beer in there anyway.

How does one keep the air off the yeast if I have to dump from a carboy into a growler?

That won’t hurt, I just wouldn’t want to leave a thick slurry sitting in a jar too long.

What I do, is I’ll boil maybe a cup of water in a quart mason jar in the microwave. I’ll take it out with a dishtowel and put the lid on then turn it so the hot water gets on the lid. I’ll tip it up and release pressure a few times. This pretty much sterlizes the jar and lid. once it cools off I will decant the leftover beer off the slurry, pour in the cooled sterile water, slosh it around to get the slurry suspended and then pour it in the jar. Put the lid on, label and stick in the fridge. I’ve got about six different yeasts in the fridge right now just waiting for the next batch.

That’s not quite what I did. I had a half a carboy full of starter wort. I syphoned off most, and then swirled the rest around to get it suspened.

I poured that into a sanitized plastic pitcher. From there, I poured that into a sanitized 2000ml flask.

I had to let it sit for about 30 minutes for the foam to subside before I could pour the rest in. I kept both vessels covered with a sanitary cloth while it sat.

Not the flask is in the refrigerator.

Sounds fine. I’d try and minimize the number of transfers but you do what you have to.

I agree…it was either that or attempt to pour from carboy to flask. :shock:

that would of been interesting to watch.