Do I have enough time for a yeast starter

I am planning on brewing a beer in 18 hours and I just realized that the goal OG is 1.062. I have done a yeast starter before but I let it sit for 1.5 days. Is 18 hours enough time for a yeast starter? I know that I will not have time to put it in the fridge to cool it, but I should still be able to see how much to dump out before I pitch it, right?

I would make it and pitch the entire starter. It will at least get those yeasties awake.

After 18 hours, you will likely not be in a position to dump any. If it is active, you can dump the whole thing in. Or just buy a second pack of yeast and do a starter when you have the time

I ended up not having time to brew, so now I am looking at the other side of the issue. If I put tinfoil on it and tighten it with a rubber band, how long can it stay in the fridge? I know that when I take it out, I should decant it and put some of the new wort in it to wake it up again.

Am I ok waiting a couple weeks or should I toss it and start over when I am ready to brew?

How long do you thing the yeast sits in the store before you bought it?

:wink:

If you made a decent sized starter, I would not hesitate to just pitch after sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks. Much longer and I would wake up again.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]How long do you thing the yeast sits in the store before you bought it?

:wink: [/quote]

That is a very good point.