Distiller's Malt?

I’ve been pretty curious about using distiller’s malt in my beer brewing for quite some time, and I’m wondering if anyone here has ever used it, and if they have, what it’s like. The product description on our host site regarding distiller’s malt is pretty vague, and I’m wondering if it’s anything like peated malt. I’m thinking there must be some difference besides the peat character or lack thereof, but I don’t know exactly what to think. If I did use it, I’d probably use it in a Scotch ale or an imperial stout, or maybe an old ale. Any input on this question would be appreciated.

I think this is the same thing as enzymatic malt. Here is a write-up of Enzyme malt from my local maltster:

MALT CHARACTER
Enzyme Malt is produced from 2-row spring barley. The steeping and germination conditions are chosen to promote enzyme release and synthesis. The kilning program is designed to preserve as much of the enzymes as possible.

APPLICATIONS
Enzyme Malt is recommended to use when high portion of adjuncts is used in a brewing process. It is also suitable for production of quality grain whisky and pure alcohol and can be used for adjusting the Falling Number of baking flour.

BREWING CHARACTERISTICS

moisture % max 7.0
extract fine % dm min 76.0
diastatic power WK dm min 650
alfa-amylase DU dm min 70

This is not a sales specification. In order to optimise ethanol yield, Enzyme Malt can on request be delivered as blends of malts with different enzyme spectra.

As the stuff you are talking about is North American, I suspect they would start with 6-row, but that’s a guess on my part.

My understanding is that distiller’s malt is for when you want to mash with a really high portion of adjunct. For example, bourbon’s grain bill must be at least 51% corn, and is often up toward 80% corn.

For peat character, why not peat malt?

I have a sack of distillers malt and it seems just like a 2-row malt to me, very light color and not a lot of character.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It sounds like most other people here haven’t used it, either, but the info is useful just the same. I think I’ll pass on it for my brewing.