Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Disposable oxygen cylinders

I was wondering if anyone uses these things for wort aeration(oxygenation). Home Depot and Ace Hdwe. have them. But the cylinders only have 1.4 ounces of O2 in them. How long to aerate with O2 and how many batches from one cylinder? Tired of shaking my carboys!

About a year ago I got the aeration wand Williams Brewing sells (hope that is ok to say on here…) - at the time it seemed like one of the best ones out there.

Northern Brewer has this which I THINK is new to them (but I could be wrong) and looks like about the same concept. I liked the stainless steel wand

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oxygenation-kit.html

So far I have loved using it. If you are sick of the shaking, or the pour and pour back and pour back etc method this is a much better experience

According to the reviews on the WB site, one person said you should be able to get 35-40 batches or so out of a canister running it at 20-30 seconds. that seems high to me but not sure. maybe someone on here can provide more input on that part of your question. I have done about 10 batches and so far have not run out.

it is a bit expensive but it is a good birthday or fathers day (or whatever) gift

oops, this one…

oops, this one…

I brew about 15-20 times each year and typically get a year and a few months out of each O2 bottle. At ten bucks a pop, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Btw, really like those stone on a stick jobs that Williams is selling. I’m tempted to get one, myself.

[quote=“Cangrejo”]I brew about 15-20 times each year and typically get a year and a few months out of each O2 bottle. At ten bucks a pop, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Btw, really like those stone on a stick jobs that Williams is selling. I’m tempted to get one, myself.[/quote]

that is the one I have, so far have loved it. I can’t tell how different the NB one I (accidently) posted twice above is. at the time Williams was the only one I saw. regardless again I like the one I have

It’s about dang time someone besides Williams Brewing started selling a stainless steel O2 wand.

That is all. :slight_smile:

Rebel brewer has bern selling them just as long as Williams. I have contemplated getting one with the big O2 tank. Basically I have been told that I would never run out.
To the OP… you want to add O2 without much bubbling at top. This is O2 leaving the wort thus wasting it. The wand allows you to stir the wort getting more thorough absorption.

I oxygenate for maybe a minute, I think I read somewhere that this is enough. You cant do this without seeing bubbles at the top but you can put the stone at the bottom of the fermenter. I put a metal stone on a plastic tube, bought the valve in a MAP torch kit from Lowes. NB is cheaper though.

That’s good to know, I didn’t know they sold the wand separately on their site.

I apply oxygen for 60 seconds prior to pitching. I have not kept track of how many batches I get out of a tank, but I rarely replace the tank…maybe once per year. Worth the price IMO.

I heartily recommend behind the wand. I found the tube approach frustrating. It seemed to always want to curl and was a pain to get it down to the bottom of the carboy.

maybe a dumb question, but can you over aerate? the instructions that came with it says to run it for about 20 seconds. That seemed a bit short IMO though. I have seen comments on here and other forums that people say they do theirs from anywhere in the range of 30-60 seconds.

I usually run it for about 30 -45 seconds just to be safe. Is that enough or should I be aiming for closer to 60 seconds?

I aerate for 60 seconds…

it is sounding like ~60 seconds sounds closer to the recommended amount. I think I’ll start bumping up to that. I did think the 20 seconds recommended by Williams Brewing in the instructions seemed a bit on the short side.

I’m sure the actual length you oxygenate depends on how much oxygen gas you’re introducing and the quality of your air stone, the temp of the wort (cooler wort lets gases dissolve more), the OG, stirring during oxygenation, etc. You only need 10ppm of O2 so its not a lot, I feel like a minute isn’t overkill and a small cylinder lasts for a lot of uses at this rate.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]maybe a dumb question, but can you over aerate? the instructions that came with it says to run it for about 20 seconds. That seemed a bit short IMO though. I have seen comments on here and other forums that people say they do theirs from anywhere in the range of 30-60 seconds.

I usually run it for about 30 -45 seconds just to be safe. Is that enough or should I be aiming for closer to 60 seconds?[/quote]

Yes, you can over-oxygenate. No, you cannot over “aerate” (as in, using plain room air).

For Christmas, I received a mid-level oxygen-specific regulator that Williams Brewing started to sell that will allow me to dial-in the injection rate at the proper liters/minute value. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet! The disposable oxygen tank from Home Depot continues to provide me with O2… it’s been at least 10 batches, and unfortunately I bet it’ll be next Christmas before I’ve run out. I run it for 60-90 seconds on a low output and swirl the wand simultaneously to encourage dissolution into the wort.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com