DIPA... yeast starter?

Hey guys,

Going onto my 5th brew, a double IPA, with an OG of 1.087! I have the equipment to prepare a yeast starter, however, I didn’t realize that yeast starters should only be used with liquid yeast. The kit I purchased came with dry yeast packets.

1. Should I re-hydrate the yeast, and then simply pitch it? With a giant OG like that, will fermentation stall, or be delayed?

2. I have an extra yeast pack that I was hoping to add prior to bottling to ensure carbonation, should I use that instead and pitch both packets?

3. Or do people make yeast starters with dry yeast?

Let me know, thanks!

• Jeff

Assuming they are the same yeast go for #2. There will be plenty of yeast remaining in suspension for carbonation. Give it time to carb up. Hop oils can form a barrier on top slowing carbonation.

I am with Josh, #2.

Another option in the future and maybe a little old school, but brew a smaller beer first and pitch yeast from that into a big beer…

2 is good, but while I’ve never done it, there’s no real reason you couldn’t make a starter from dry yeast.

Dry yeasts are loaded with nutrients before they are processed, so they are kind of ready to go and have more cells than liquid yeast. Not that you can’t make a starter, but it uses up their nutrient load in the process. Plus the extra cell count means you’d want a bigger starter or else you are basically feeding them and won’t get a lot of cell division.

I would use two packets, and rehydrate to get best viability.

2 packs should do the trick.

Find a yeast calculator online (Mr. Malty or Brewer’s Friend both have them) and it will tell you exactly how much dry (or liquid) yeast you should pitch based on your OG and batch size (and age of yeast, if using liquid). And, if you’re using liquid and need to make a starter, it will tell you how big the starter should be. Helps a lot to make sure you’re getting enough yeast into those high gravity brews.