DIPA at 1.020 FG

My FG for a DIPA I made with cultured Conan yeast has seemed to have stopped at 1.02. My OG was 1.085 I think, maybe a few points higher even. My mash temp was 149. My ferm temp (beer not ambient) was 63 first few days, then slow rise to 68. Its been 3 weeks since brew day.

Should I add some S-05 and give it a few more days, or go ahead with my dry hop schedule?

Seems a bit high. I’d gently rouse the fermenter (don’t shake it) and warm up your beer to the low to mid 70s and let it sit for another week. How does it taste?

Haven’t tried it… yet

I had an IPA end up 1.022 and it was not sweet at all and quite good. The beer was an experiment with short mashing times (30m) and I carried over some unconverted starch into the beer. FG is just a number and taste trumps all. Personally, I think it’s done.

From what I have read, The Alchemist reuses yeast up to 10 times. If your can that you cultured from was at the high end of that your attenuation will not be as good.

The first time I cultured Conan my FG was high, the second time it was where I wanted it to be.

[quote=“Worts_Worth”]My FG for a DIPA I made with cultured Conan yeast has seemed to have stopped at 1.02. My OG was 1.085 I think, maybe a few points higher even. My mash temp was 149. My ferm temp (beer not ambient) was 63 first few days, then slow rise to 68. Its been 3 weeks since brew day.

Should I add some S-05 and give it a few more days, or go ahead with my dry hop schedule?[/quote]

If the problem is the fermentability of the wort, adding more yeast won’t help. Did you use any sugar? How much crystal did you use?

That’s a pretty normal FG using Conan on such a big beer. If you added enough hops, and not much crystal, it’ll taste great.

I agree Waylit. If the flavor indicates that it’s balanced or that it’s not too sweet, dry hop it and be done with it. Maybe it’s just personal preference, but I prefer my IPAs and double IPAs to be on the drier side.