Diet and homebrew

Started a diet today, leaving room for a couple of home brews. Found this really neat calculator that bases calories on a formula that considers OG and FG. http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml
Pretty cool!

very cool. i wonder how accurate it is

I ran a basic extract batch, which is quite predictable. It came in right where another established “diet” calculator places “regular” beer. Seems right.

I have that built into my spreadsheet. That way, I know the calories for each of my beers.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I have that built into my spreadsheet. That way, I know the calories for each of my beers.

[/quote]

Awesome spreadsheet. Any chance I can get the .xls?

[quote=“Hoppman21”]Awesome spreadsheet. Any chance I can get the .xls?[/quote]yup, click on my sig below and help yourself.

Wow, looks professional!

Is it helping?

Is it helping?[/quote]Yes. Down 27 lbs so far.

Is it helping?[/quote]Yes. Down 27 lbs so far.[/quote]
Awesome!

I just ride my bike more so I can have more beer without guilt, other than the wife complaining that I bike too much and drink too much beer.

I’m an avid bicycle rider. My problem is that with no diet, I tend to eat too much. So I budget my beer now, leaving room for 1 or 2 as I plan my food consumption. I need that discipline.

Same here. Hard to work off more than two beer’s worth in one exercise session. Moderation is the key.

I ride my bike for transportation, at least 10 miles a day. When the weather is nicer, I often go for 15-20 mile rides after work, just to get a little more riding in. Then will often do longer rides on the weekends.
It’s a built in exercise plan. People think I’m crazy, but I think people are crazy for going to the gym and not riding their bikes to work. Save money, burn calories, lower your carbon footprint (not that many people care about that), and you get to work, all at the same time.
I don’t worry about being sweaty, it’s part of the lifestyle, just gotta deal with it. The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

So, having said that, I try to eat really well, not eating so much meat these days because it forces me to eat more vegetables. I can pretty much drink what I want.

+1

It finally clicked for me was when I realized after running a 10 minute mile (which was a big deal for me at the time) was the total calorie expenditure was only 160. Not even one lousy beer! Add that to reading some food labels. Labels are very deceiving…

There is some truth to blaming beer. Not the beer calories, but it’s affect to make me eat more and unhealthier that I otherwise would :cheers:

[quote=“Beersk”]I don’t worry about being sweaty, it’s part of the lifestyle, just gotta deal with it.[/quote]What lifestyle?

You should try the Insanity workouts or the P90X plyometrics. My heart rate monitor would put me somewhere between two RIS’s and two barleywines worth of calories!

:shock: I want to live to drink another beer!