Did my deluxe kit come with the wrong cleaner?

I received the NB Deluxe Kit for Christmas. I’m planning on doing my first brew today (I’m super stoked). The aluminum stock pot I’m using was borrowed from a friend, and needs some serious cleaning (grease deposits). I was going to use the PBW that I thought came with the kit, but the package says 5 Star beverage line cleaner. Is that the same stuff?

Not the same stuff, but I don’t think I would use either for a greasy pot (OK, maybe the beer line cleaner would work well, it is a caustic cleaner like lye). If I was you, I’d scrub the pot with dish soap and a scrubby pad. If that doesn’t work, use Ajax or some other heavy-duty kitchen cleaner.

Thanks much for the quick reply. I’m sure I’ve got some Ajax around some where.

Good luck with the brew, and welcome to a great hobby.

BLC should not come in a starter kit. I suggest contacting NB customer service. They will make it right.

I had the same experience! I’m starting my first batch today and plan on picking up a bottle rack before bottling day, so I’ll ask them in the store if this was a mistake or a legitimate substitution.

It’s supposed to come with the PBW, NB support were very responsive and they shipped me a 1lb bottle of it right away. Great customer service!

It’s supposed to come with the PBW, NB support were very responsive and they shipped me a 1lb bottle of it right away. Great customer service![/quote]
I stopped in at their store in St. Paul, MN today. They gave me a 1-lb jar of PBW free plus 10% off the other items I stopped in to pick up (a Fast Rack with one extra rack, the Mad Brewers Upgrade Kit, and the Patersbier Extract Kit with Specialty Grains, Wyeast smack pack and bottling sugar.) Winning!