Did I almost have a blow off?

So, I went in and checked on my fermenting Phat Tyre after work this evening, and it looked like there was condensation on the inside of the carboy at the top. Upon further inspection, I realized that there were also bits of hops up there, all the way up into the neck. The highest piece is about level with the bit of airlock that hangs down a bit below the bung. In light of this, I’m think the “condensation” is actually sugars left behind from a high kreusen. I’m almost positive that neither the bits of hops nor the “condensation”/sugar residue were there this morning.

Is it possible for a kreusen that seemed to stabilize on Tuesday would suddenly flare up like this? Could a low pressure system do it (it’s been raining here all day)?

FWIW, in the picture below you can see some of the bits of hops. At the back of the carboy, you can also see what was the high-kreusen point, which occurred on the first full day of active fermentation (Monday).

No where near a blow off. If you were close there would be stuff all the way up the carboy and possibly in the air lock.

Yup, nowhere near. You would have seen the thick brown line of krausen inching close to the airlock.

It seems as though you may have a 5g ferment in a 6.5g carboy there which is adequate for just about every ferment. Although I use a 7g bucket and preferment volume is 5.25g and I use a blow off tube every batch and have only had my 5/8 ID tube clog up once where the krausen was just starting to “leak” from the bucket lid seam it didn’t have enough pressure to blow a bucket lid off because the tube wasn’t fully blocked but some krausen still was sneaking out the seam.

I guess what I’m trying to say is be safe and always use a blow off for primary in the future and in your case you can utilize 1" tubing that will never clog or have a mop close for when you do eventually blow off into the floor, fridge, ceiling, white carpet etc… it will happen, just you wait. Good ole Murphy will creep up on you probably the long weekend you leave for 4 days on. I have never had a horror story as I used blow off tubes from the gitgo upon insistence from a good buddy teaching me brewing :wink:

EDIT* look at the thread regarding dudes RIS I almost blew brew through my nose I was laughing so hard. Sorry RIS dude its a real bummer but its awfully easy to laugh as a bystander.

You talking about the thread with the pics and video of the blow off? If so, I enjoyed that, too :slight_smile:

Anyway, now I’m thinking that what I’m seeing must be from when I aerated (I just shake the hell outta the thing) and somehow I just didn’t see the haziness and trub until last night.

here is a picture of a blow off. :smiley:

Nice!

I didn’t think I was seeing a blow off, or that I even had one, just was wondering if maybe the kreusen spiked while I was at work yesterday.

Out of curiosity, are blow offs most common at a certain point during primary? And, is it possible to have a 1" kreusen for a couple of days and then have a blow off?

[quote=“ickyfoot”]Nice!

I didn’t think I was seeing a blow off, or that I even had one, just was wondering if maybe the kreusen spiked while I was at work yesterday.

Out of curiosity, are blow offs most common at a certain point during primary? And, is it possible to have a 1" kreusen for a couple of days and then have a blow off?[/quote]

I’m still very new to brewing, but in my experience I have had a blow off with in 5 hours with my BBP, and 2-3 days later with an IPA. I think it just depends. I always add the blow off tube to all my brews. if not you get this.

this was my very first brew and was about 6 hours later when I came home. :shock:

[cheesy Australian accent]That’s not a blow off,THIS is a blow off.[/cheesy Australian accent]

http://youtu.be/UgfubawsrcM

Just saw that in the Imperial Stout thread. Truly epic! We’re playing a dangerous game, folks.

Note the krausen all the way into the top of the neck I got lucky with just an air lock and it is stained and had some of the beer in it (which i need to be cleaning instead of being on here)

That’s illuminating, thanks. At this point, I’m pretty sure it was just from swirling the cooled wort for aeration and/or from the massive head of foam (all the way up to the bung) said aeration produced.

PS - my original post with the arrows and labels cracks me up. I musta been drinkin :wink:

[quote=“ickyfoot”]
PS - my original post with the arrows and labels cracks me up. I musta been drinkin :wink: [/quote]

I actually got a huge kick outta that, i was thinking if you gotta put arrows then nah… that wont a blow off :slight_smile:

Haha, I was thinking, “man, what beer a nerd I’ve become!”

:cheers: