Diastaticus Yeast and Mash Temperature (3711)

When it comes to a yeast like 3711 (Diastaticus yeast) does mash temperature even matter? Will mashing higher just delay the inevitable? Or will mashing higher result in a different flavor profile as enzymes break stuff down. Would mashing lower just get the job done faster?

1 Like

Theres an excellent article in the Brewers Journal that talks about this certain strain… So it seems that you can mash at higher temps, and the yeast will consume sugars that other yeasts leave behind… (mouth feel comes to mind)… Saisons… Farmhouse… Ales…
Welcome back
Sneezles61

Today’s malt contains a lot of diastatic power to convert so it isn’t going to matter much. If you use a lot of adjuncts that won’t self convert it might matter. The yeast is going to do it’s thing. The more unfermentables you have it might take a little longer to dry out.

That’s kinda what I was getting at. It’s still going to get low either way because it has the ability to break down the “unfermentables”. I might have to try a double batch, one mashed high and one low. My guess it they would both taste the same but the high temp mash would just take longer to completely finish.

Ahhh… X-beerment time! Tell us the results when its complete!
Sneezles61