Diacetyl Rest

I plan on fermenting a Traditional Bock at 50 F. After primary fermentation I plan on performing a D-Rest. I’m using Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast; its ideal temperature range is 46-58 F. In performing a D-Rest does one raise the temperature slightly above the ideal temperature range of the yeast strain? I planned on gradually increasing the temperature to 60 F for 48-72 hours. Perhaps it’s not significantly outside the temp range for the yeast yet, I don’t want to miss the D-rest or create other fermentation problems. I plan to lager at 40 F for approximately 2 months after the D-rest. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Bringing it up to 60*-65* for 3 days will work fine. After that you can start dialing the temp down 3-4* per day until you hit your lagering temp. If it were me, I would try to get it down into the 33-34* range for lagering.

+1 to Loopie

+2. On my d-rests, I just take it out of the fermenting fridge and place it on the basement floor for 2-3 days. 2206 is not a diacetyl-monster but it’s a safe thing to do to make sure that any unwanted flavors (diacetyl, sulphur, etc.) are cleaned up before you lager. Cheers.

Thanks! This is helpful. Cheers