DFH Gives Itself a Bad Name

I honestly thing that DFH gives themselves a bad name with all the crazy beers they make. I have drank 120 Minute IPA, 8itches Brew, and Palo Santo and all of these beers are phenomenal in my mind. I have to make this post because I feel like Dogfish Head (DFH) gives itself a terrible reputation with their experimental brews when they can produce some serious a$$ brews when they go for force. Thoughts???

DFH 60 was the first beer I had that got me interested in drinking beer for taste and not for just throwing back a few to catch a buzz. I like the 120, but find it to be ridiculously overpriced. Some of their wacky brews are treats for when I’m looking for something different, but are not beers I’d drink every day (Sah’tea for example, yummy.)

I wouldn’t say a “bad name” but lately their crazier brews do seem to overshadow their more mainstream selections. But I think the experimental brews have given them more press than anything else they’ve done. I’m kinda glad they’re not complacent, even though not all their stuff suits me.

While I don’t like many of Dogfish’s beers, I am glad that there are breweries out there doing different things. There are so many breweries now, that I think the ones really giving themselves a bad name are the ones that are doing the same thing as everyone else.

DFH has a pretty extensive sensory analysis group that works with marketing. I also am not a fan of some of their experimental ones. Though I will say, by and large, I like their special release beers WAY more than their flagship beers. 60 is boring to me, 120 is ok, chicory stout is good (real good on nitro). Raison d’etre is ‘meh’.

We did live in the heart of DFH country (maryland), where it was on tap in quite a few places. I do find that some of my friends from the midwest are OBSESSED with it. I think its just like any of them though, I was obsessed with Balast Point (when I couldn’t get it), I was obsessed with Bells (when I couldn’t get it), Founders. Maybe the beers have gone downhill, maybe my palette’s gone uphill…maybe both…or we’re all just children and want what we can’t have. :mrgreen:

To your point, I do have a bottle of one of their wort/grape must beers in the basement (I’m pretty sure the label features a man in an ascot) though…haven’t had the desire to crack it (yet).

120 is an underattenuated mess IMO.
60 and 90 are nothing special but decent beers…though it has been a long time since I have had them.

You can still make experimental beers and still make them well, something DFH doesnt do IMO

I think a lot of it is our journey to discover what good beer is. It really is a progression. There was a time when I thought 90 minute was the best beer on the planet. Mostly because this was my first “foray” into big and hoppy beers. But as I moved on and started exploring different beers and actually doing research on beer and the different styles I realized there are a lot of really good beers out there.

I disagree with this sentiment. While I can see that it’d be tough to make a buck selling bottled/canned beer without some kind of gimmick, I personally think a local brewpub can produce a line of solid yet non-crazy beers and do quite well. I think styles are there for a reason, many combinations have been tried over the course of the last couple hundred years and styles that endure, do so for a good reason.

I think weird beers can be absolutely awesome, but it needs to be a weird beer variation of a good beer. I went through a phase about 2 years ago, where I essentially Julie and Julia’d it and worked my way through most of JZ’s Brewing Classic Styles, trying to make really good examples of ‘boring’ beer.

I’m now realizing that is the least heterosexual thing I’ve ever posted on this board…

In any event, I have tasted so many Chocolate Cinnamon Vanilla Milk Coffee stouts where diacetyl and baby diaper still manages to come through that mess of flavors. As Mr. Miyagi said, “first learn stand, then learn fly”.

Shorter version: I’m glad DFH is out there. Many of their special releases are great (if you have not tried Birra Etrusca, get on that). The flagship beers keep their lights on, but their special release beers make them stand out.

This is kinda my take on “weird” beers. For me to take a craft brewery seriously they need to prove to me that they can make a really good “basic” style beer and that they aren’t trying to hide a lack of fundamentals under their new fancy flavor. I think DFH has proven that they can make a damn fine “basic” beer.

I also think there is a small amount of elitism in us beer snobs (using the term endearingly) where we may be viewing double chocolate cherry vanilla imperial red ale as a “training beer” or a “perversion” for some of us beer purists. They have their place and if they are selling and bringing more awareness to the world of craft beers then I’m all for it.

I live smack in the center of DF country, so I should be stopping into their pubs a few times a year to check out the oddities they have on draft. Problem is, whenever I do stop in, their beer menu is stacked with massive beers that I’m just not comfortable drinking given that I have to drive home. Worse, a lot of the really interesting stuff seems to come in 750s.

I’ve got nothing against them, though. They’re doing what interests them and they’re doing it successfully. More power to 'em.

I love the responses that this thread has garnered. For the record, i really like DFH…when they make their non chocolate vanilla latte with super chai beers. I applaud them for the chances they take but i have to wonder sometimes if it does them good all of the time. For example, one of my local craft brew stores is basically taking them off their shelves because they can’t sell all the concoction beers. In order to get my fill of 120 minute or 8itches brew, i’ve had to go to another store.

I disagree with this sentiment. While I can see that it’d be tough to make a buck selling bottled/canned beer without some kind of gimmick, I personally think a local brewpub can produce a line of solid yet non-crazy beers and do quite well. [/quote]

We’re not talking about a local brewpub though, we’re talking about a large brewery that distributes from coast to coast. I think DFH’s beers are a bit gimmicky, but I’m glad we have at least SOME variety. There are hundreds of breweries opening every year, and the majority of those are not brewpubs.

I disagree with this sentiment. While I can see that it’d be tough to make a buck selling bottled/canned beer without some kind of gimmick, I personally think a local brewpub can produce a line of solid yet non-crazy beers and do quite well. [/quote]

We’re not talking about a local brewpub though, we’re talking about a large brewery that distributes from coast to coast. I think DFH’s beers are a bit gimmicky, but I’m glad we have at least SOME variety. There are hundreds of breweries opening every year, and the majority of those are not brewpubs.[/quote]

and a majority of those need to perfect their brewing process IMO.
Craft boom that has been going on for a few years now is turning out a lot of bad beer, atleast around here…

DFH is the king of brewing beer with a marketing gimmick there is no denying that, Sah’tea…oh lets take on old style ramp up the alchohol and then throw tea in it cuz it sounds like that. 60,90 and 120 gimmicks, and countless others