Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Developing Brewing Software

I’ve been kicking around the idea of developing a Web Application for recipe generation.

The purpose would be to develop my web application programming skills and also to have something to show prospective employers. The application would be free and always remain free. (I need to look into how I can make that commitment official.)

I’m wondering about gathering and using the data required, including:

• Ppg and color for grains and extracts
  • IBU ranges for all the hop varities
  • Commonly used calculations/formulas

Is it wrong to gather this information from currently existing applications? I know I can get the info on ppg and color directly from the various manufacturers, but it would be a lot more work to gather it in that manner.

It looks like I would also need to get permission from the BJCP to use their style names and numbers in the application. Has anyone here gone through this process in the past? And if so, was it an easy or difficult process?

If anyone has other thoughts, comments, suggestions, or guidance I would appreciate any and all.

[quote=“JohnnyB”]I’m wondering about gathering and using the data required, including:

• Ppg and color for grains and extracts
  • IBU ranges for all the hop varities
  • Commonly used calculations/formulas[/quote]
    Pretty much all of this information is included in EZ Brew 1.5, download a copy and you got all the info you could want.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107231&sid=c2d1242e14b62b4ffa5727efc6f85492

Thanks!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com