Denny's Waldo Lake

I’m going to order Denny’s Waldo Lake AG kit today.
I was looking at the recipe, and it was recommending a secondary.
I was thinking just doing a 4 week primary and bottling. Let the aging happen in the bottles.
Any thoughts?

Pretty sure all NB recipes call for secondary. I don’t see any issues with doing what you’ve suggested. 95% of the time I’m kegging and when I do that I do ~2 weeks in primary, keg and essentially treat kegs like bright tanks and let them sit for at least 2 weeks and often it ends up being a couple months.

[quote=“paultuttle”]I’m going to order Denny’s Waldo Lake AG kit today.
I was looking at the recipe, and it was recommending a secondary.
I was thinking just doing a 4 week primary and bottling. Let the aging happen in the bottles.
Any thoughts?[/quote]

That’ll work.

Cool, thanks!

I just got the Waldo Lake Amber in the bucket, it’s sitting in my basement, waiting for those first few airlock bubbles. My OG was 1.063. I used Irish moss, but that was the only thing I changed about the recipe. Can’t wait to taste it.

Love this beer! Can’t wait to brew up some more. Denny, I noticed the kits switch out the Amarillo for Centennial. I imagine this is due to Amarillo being a bit scarce, how do you like it with Centennial instead? Ever done an imperial version? If so, I would love to know how you changed the recipe.

I always do a secondary, at least for a couple of weeks. It definitely gives cleaner result and its good to do a cleaning of the baffles. Unless you really like the fruity impact of the yeast.

I brewed this one a short time ago and it’s probably the fastest beer through the keg in a long time. Just delightful. I’ve been having efficiency issues, and mine came in about 10 points low at 1.052. Nevertheless, it turned out really well balanced, with a lot of malt character and enough hop flavor to please without being unbalanced. The WY1450 gives it such a nice mouthfeel, too.

Might as well buy what you need for the second batch now! :cheers:

Edit: I just drank the last bottle of a batch of Denny’s RIPA that I brewed back in April. I bottled up the last few beers from the keg two months ago. Still delicious!

I just made the first batch with Centennials for LTHB Day and it’s still in the fermenter, so I don’t know yet. They didn’t actually tell me they were switching, but I love Centennial so it will be different but I imagine still great. Never have done an impy version…interesting idea!

So, what is it that determines if a beer is Imperial?

A larger alcohol/hops content. Mostly above 7%.

Waldo is already darn close to that.

Did this one and am now half way through the batch. Very good. It will be on the permanant rotation.

Barry

Ah So. I downloaded the recipe some time ago & made it (very short hang time on that keg), but it had 1oz Cent at 0 min. Did the original recipe spec Amarillo for that add?

I happen to have another one in the bucket right now, I may give it an Amarillo dry hop before I keg.

The current recipe on ibrew does not have amarrilo but earlier versions may have.

Barry

What’s ibrew?

uhh a brain fart.

I shoulda said Ibrewmaster (an Iphone and Mac program). It has all (or very close) recipies from NB and a shite load from elsewhere. It isn’t perfect but it is a rather nice app. Especially as I can run it on my iphone and that whats I have around when I’m brewing - not a computer. It does have one serious drawback. I haven’t found a PC compatable version so I cannot transfer my info from this program to a computer (don’t have a mac).

Denny, Most of your recipes are NOT in there but Waldo lake is. I can add recipies so on my personal recipies list are your BVIP and Kens HHRL.

Barry

Thanks for the info, Barry!