Denny's rye ipa and partigyle

Next week I will have a day available to brew which doesn’t happen often. I would like to do two beers and I have done partigyle brewing before. I know that one of the beers I want to make is Denny’s RIPA. I would like to also make a black IPA but I’m not sure how I would go about getting both beers from one mash or if its even feasible.
Also, leading up to brew day, I’ll be working quite a bit and may not have much time to do a starter of liquid yeast, will dry yeast work well for RIPA? I have had good success with US 05
Any suggestions (even to only do the RIPA) are welcome. Thanks in advance.

As long as you’re OK with some rye in the Black IPA, you could do a traditional partigyle and use first runnings for the Rye IPA, then add some base grain and carafa to the MT and do a second mash for the Black IPA.

Interesting idea MSU.

Shadetree - are you suggesting a full new 60 minute mash? And if so, how much fermentable contribution would expect to get from the original grist?

You can handle the roasted malts like specialty grains when doing an extract batch and just steep them.

[quote=“scottNU”]Shadetree - are you suggesting a full new 60 minute mash? And if so, how much fermentable contribution would expect to get from the original grist?[/quote]A 20-30 minute second mash is usually enough, but if you have one kettle you can just let it sit while you finish the first batch. To determine the points left in the MT from the first mash, you divide the grain weight by 8 (to determine the volume of wort held in the grain) and multiply by the kettle gravity, so if you used 24 lbs of grain with a kettle gravity of 1.060 you would have 24/8 * 60 = 180 points to work with.

I always use Safale US 05 for almost all of my IPA’s and for me works fine.

I’ve heard of the ‘spike with new grain’ method in partigyling, but any shot this would lead to astringency? Or is that purely a function of mash pH?

Great. Very cool strategy. I need to work this into a future brewing session.

[quote=“Pietro”]I’ve heard of the ‘spike with new grain’ method in partigyling, but any shot this would lead to astringency? Or is that purely a function of mash pH?[/quote]As usual, astringency is a function of mash pH. When I do a parti-gyle this way, I treat the sparge with enough phosphoric to drop the pH into range. And in this case, with the roasted grain, the pH shouldn’t creep up.

Like Shadetree says, you’d have to add more grain or DME. The Rye IPA isn’t high enough OG to do a second high gravity beer like an IPA.

According to the brewing techniques page on partigyle if I split the batch volume 50/50 there will be a 58/42 distribution of sugar. So unless my math is off, 1.073 → 73 ppg/0.58 = 125 ppg
And 125 ppg * 0.42= 53ppg → 1.053
That’s not a huge IPA, but not every beer had to be a monster.
So, if my math is correct, what would be the best way to sparge the grain bed for a 50/50 volume split that will give me these post boil OG?

Randy Mosher’s BT

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/l ... osher.html

No calculation I’ve ever used has been real accurate at predicting the runoff gravities. You can get in the ballpark, but I suggest you have some DME on hand and wing it. When I do partigyle I do the first batch as no sparge. And your math does look off. It should be 73*.58 I believe, which would give you 42 ppg, not 125.

Well, I’ve decided to just do the RIPA on its own, as it’s a beer I’ve never made, and I’m a bit rusty, so it’s kind of a moot point.
My reasoning for 73/.58 was that with a total wort gravity of 125ppg, 58% would get me 73ppg. 125*.58=73 -->125=73/.58
Not trying to argue about a moot point, I just wanted to see if my reasoning was faulty for in the future.

[quote=“MSU Brewer”]Well, I’ve decided to just do the RIPA on its own, as it’s a beer I’ve never made, and I’m a bit rusty, so it’s kind of a moot point.
My reasoning for 73/.58 was that with a total wort gravity of 125ppg, 58% would get me 73ppg. 125*.58=73 -->125=73/.58
Not trying to argue about a moot point, I just wanted to see if my reasoning was faulty for in the future.[/quote]

I’ll recheck your math when I’m not at work and see if it makes more sense to me.